christofergeo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
i have a mobo with 2 sata II inputs.the 1 of them the main sata input (sata 1)was broken totally and i have to change my main disk drive c: to sata 2.I did it but it says hard disk read error press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.Is there any solution to make my hard drive work in sata 2 through bios or something else.just to mention i have windows xp and the drive cables are all ok.plz help!

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Go into your bios and check to see that the HDD is listed. You may have to turn on the other sata port if it is controlled by a separate sata device. Check the boot order to be sure the HDD is listed as the second boot drive (disc or cd drive is usually first). The issue is that windows is look to a location for the drive and not finding it.

christofergeo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
by unpluging the sata...1st time and then got worse in the end it totally broke...Now there is another problem...i plug in another disk which has the same drivers winows etc. the system boots and in windows xp logo blue screen appears and the system restarts immediately...i cant see what blue sceen describe cause it dissapear immediately...this continue to happen until i turn off the pc

p.s.:I didnt yet try to go safe mode

christofergeo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
by unpluging the sata...1st time and then got worse in the end it totally broke...Now there is another problem...i plug in another disk which has the same drivers winows etc. the system boots and in windows xp logo blue screen appears and the system restarts immediately...i cant see what blue sceen describe cause it dissapear immediately...this continue to happen until i turn off the pc

christofergeo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If I understand, you are trying to use a second disk with an already installed version of XP? This is not always successful. What happens when you turn the system on with no disk? Since one port is broken, you must be using a different port. This will often cause windows to shut down as it is not seeing the port and device it was installed to. I would do a clean install on the second disk, then after all is up and running plug the old disk in and see if I could get my files off it.