Intel Celeron 900(2.2ghz) performance??

nihal566

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Hello..I am planning to buy a new laptop most probably Dell 1545.It has two options in terms of cpu they are intel celeron 900 and intel dual core 4200..But because of budget i have decided to take the celeron.I'll be using my laptop mainly for internet browsing,movie viewing(720p,youtube hd etc),simple video convertion and some old gaming(nfs 2 etc),i know the celeron is slow,but is it along with intel gma x4500hd enough for my purposes??

Just barely. Don't try to watch 1080p movies. And don't do anything else while watching the 720p movies. I don't believe youtube (ie adobe flash) properly supports GPU acceleration, so the CPU will do all the work.

I believe it is core 2 based processor. If I am wrong, then someone please correct me and my recommendation will change.

My reason for saying it would just barely be enough is based on my experience with the Athlon 3200+ overclocked to 2.5GHz. If the celeron there is core 2 based, it will perform about the same. I was not able to multi-task well. I was not able to watch 1080p movies. It could also not handle the coding/decoding of my tv tuner card in a timely enough manner to watch tv without skipping (happauge 1250, I think. no dedicated decoding)

I was however, able to run windows 7 and play older games with my integrated 8200m. The thing about the video converting is that there is no problems with it working, it's just that it may take you a very long time.

And yes, there will be absolutely no multi-tasking. Do one thing at a time only unless you want slowdowns.

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Its half a Penryn, so yes Core 2 based.

You may get away with it but it won't last long, it'll be slowing down with newer software within a month or so.
Just remember you maybe saving money now, but in the long run you won't. Try and aim for atleast a Pentium Dual Core in a laptop!

Also why do you need a laptop? Most peoples excuses for needing one are poor at best, unless you need it for education/business purposes and need to take it everywhere, I won't waste my own money on something thats not upgradeable.

Some peoples excuses are because they don't have 'space' for a desktop! Everyone seems to think you need a desk these days. I'm sat here typing on wireless keyboard in front of my 32" LCD TV on my 'desktop' sat in a armchair, much better than any laptop and cost half the price (not including the TV).

At a push I'd say get a desktop for things at home, like the gaming and video encoding. And get a cheap netbook for the portable needs!

Just my 2 cents!

Craig