Sign in with
Your question

Intel Celeron 900(2.2ghz) performance??

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2010 5:43:01 PM

Hello..I am planning to buy a new laptop most probably Dell 1545.It has two options in terms of cpu they are intel celeron 900 and intel dual core 4200..But because of budget i have decided to take the celeron.I'll be using my laptop mainly for internet browsing,movie viewing(720p,youtube hd etc),simple video convertion and some old gaming(nfs 2 etc),i know the celeron is slow,but is it along with intel gma x4500hd enough for my purposes??
a c 131 à CPUs
August 1, 2010 10:08:15 PM

Just barely. Don't try to watch 1080p movies. And don't do anything else while watching the 720p movies. I don't believe youtube (ie adobe flash) properly supports GPU acceleration, so the CPU will do all the work.

I believe it is core 2 based processor. If I am wrong, then someone please correct me and my recommendation will change.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2010 10:47:54 PM

Dont waste money on the Celeron, you will be disappointed.
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
August 1, 2010 10:58:50 PM

My reason for saying it would just barely be enough is based on my experience with the Athlon 3200+ overclocked to 2.5GHz. If the celeron there is core 2 based, it will perform about the same. I was not able to multi-task well. I was not able to watch 1080p movies. It could also not handle the coding/decoding of my tv tuner card in a timely enough manner to watch tv without skipping (happauge 1250, I think. no dedicated decoding)

I was however, able to run windows 7 and play older games with my integrated 8200m. The thing about the video converting is that there is no problems with it working, it's just that it may take you a very long time.

And yes, there will be absolutely no multi-tasking. Do one thing at a time only unless you want slowdowns.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2010 8:09:19 AM

Its half a Penryn, so yes Core 2 based.

You may get away with it but it won't last long, it'll be slowing down with newer software within a month or so.
Just remember you maybe saving money now, but in the long run you won't. Try and aim for atleast a Pentium Dual Core in a laptop!

Also why do you need a laptop? Most peoples excuses for needing one are poor at best, unless you need it for education/business purposes and need to take it everywhere, I won't waste my own money on something thats not upgradeable.

Some peoples excuses are because they don't have 'space' for a desktop! Everyone seems to think you need a desk these days. I'm sat here typing on wireless keyboard in front of my 32" LCD TV on my 'desktop' sat in a armchair, much better than any laptop and cost half the price (not including the TV).

At a push I'd say get a desktop for things at home, like the gaming and video encoding. And get a cheap netbook for the portable needs!

Just my 2 cents!

Craig

m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 3:54:30 PM

dextermat said:
2- don't buy a dell, Buy an Asus or a MSI at least

I second those brand recommendations.

I also second the idea of spending $100 more for decent components, if you can afford it.
m
l
!