Sign in with
Your question

Issue with new computer - problem with mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 20, 2011 6:56:51 AM

Hey I had a friend build me a new computer about a week ago and it's been running fine up until a couple days ago. The first incident - my computer shut down completely - maybe power switch got flipped? I don't know. That hasn't happened again but this other issue has happened twice now. I will be gaming or surfing the web and then all of a sudden my screen goes blank and my mouse and keyboard no longer work. Basically the computer becomes non-responsive and the only way the computer will turn off is if I flip the switch on the psu.

The mobo I'm using is MSI 890fx-gd65

I called my friend and told him what happened after the first time and he said it's most likely the mobo - could be some hiccups, but having it happen again after 2 days has me a thinking it's not hiccups. I will try and speak to tech support on Monday about this - but until then does anyone have some advice?
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 1:02:59 PM

List full hardware specs please including power supply make and model and dimm make and model.

Do you have all the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard? Latest graphics drivers?

Are all the temps good?

February 20, 2011 5:14:14 PM

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCMG-2100
Mobo: MSI 890FXA-GD65
DIMM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR
GPU: XFX HD-695A-CNFC Radeon HD 6950
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

I'm pretty sure I have all the latest drivers - last night I tried searching for some but couldn't find any. My core temp sitting idle is 24C
Related resources
February 20, 2011 6:44:34 PM

Are you overclocking? How are you determining the core temp?

I would use real temp and load the processor with something like Linx for 20 or 25 minutes. Any idea what your GPU temps are?
February 20, 2011 7:06:15 PM

No I'm not overclocking - and I'm using a program called speedfan. The only temp it gave was a core temp? I've taken the panel off even while gaming for 3+ hours and nothing feels excessively hot.
a c 194 V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 7:44:07 PM

1. Download and run OCCT .... it will test, monitor and graph the results (voltages and temps over 60 minutes). Run the CPU test and if that passes, the GPU test

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

2. Check Event Viewer after rebooting subsequent to a freeze .... post any error or warning messages

February 20, 2011 7:50:45 PM

I have to head off to work but I will check that out tomorrow.
February 21, 2011 4:19:32 AM

M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 12:29:34 PM

zakel2 said:
No I'm not overclocking - and I'm using a program called speedfan. The only temp it gave was a core temp? I've taken the panel off even while gaming for 3+ hours and nothing feels excessively hot.

Nothing feels hot? So your testing your temperatures with your fingers?? :o 

I'm asking you what your temperatures are in celcius exactly, not whether or not it "feels" hot. LOL
!