Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU for ATI X200 Chipset

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2010 6:04:12 PM

Hello everyone,
I have an old HP zv6130us laptop and I wish to upgrade the CPU.
Talking with HP is not an option as they give me silly answers which are quite frustrating.
So here are the details:

Chipset :ATI X200
Current CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2GHz
CPU TDP : 67W
Socket 939

Thank you all.

More about : cpu ati x200 chipset

a c 131 à CPUs
August 1, 2010 9:51:15 PM

I hate to say it, but there is no worthwhile upgrade unless you can get your hands on an athlon 64x2. The problem with the Athlon 64x2 is that they were not around when HP made the laptop, or at the very least, the laptop motherboard never shipped with the x2.

Here is your computer:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

Basically find out what the highest end CPU that your computer model had shipped with and that will be your best upgrade.

Anything else is a gamble. The bios, CPU wattage support or chipset could limit you and cause any CPU past what is supported to not work. The chipset itself supports all Athlon 64 CPUs.
August 2, 2010 2:04:49 AM

enzo matrix said:
I hate to say it, but there is no worthwhile upgrade unless you can get your hands on an athlon 64x2. The problem with the Athlon 64x2 is that they were not around when HP made the laptop, or at the very least, the laptop motherboard never shipped with the x2.

Here is your computer:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

Basically find out what the highest end CPU that your computer model had shipped with and that will be your best upgrade.

Anything else is a gamble. The bios, CPU wattage support or chipset could limit you and cause any CPU past what is supported to not work. The chipset itself supports all Athlon 64 CPUs.

Thanks for your reply.

I would indeed buy an AMD X2 is it is supported by the X200 chipset.
Can anyone else say if it is possible to upgrade to an X2? Upgrading to a higher end single core CPU is pointless I feel.
August 13, 2010 11:45:26 PM

Can anyone add to this please?
!