I want more tasks on my taskbar, but how?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have
all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before it
started wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down
arrow to navigate).

In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on
the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I tried
setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons setting to
"Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only
lets me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another line.

Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of
tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use the
"taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care for.)

Thanks to anyone who can help.
13 answers Last reply
More about tasks taskbar
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Right-click on the taskbar. Select Unlock the taskbar. Drag the "separator"
    to the right to get more room.

    "George Adams" wrote:

    > I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
    > launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have
    > all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before it
    > started wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down
    > arrow to navigate).
    >
    > In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on
    > the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I tried
    > setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons setting to
    > "Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only
    > lets me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another line.
    >
    > Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of
    > tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use the
    > "taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care for.)
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Sorry about that. I had to boot into WinXP to check this so if you still want
    to do it manually--right-click on the destop, select properties, go to
    appearance tab, select advanced. The setting is under caption buttons. This
    will reduce them some but will also reduce them on your title bar and it
    makes all of the quicklaunch buttons quite small if you overdo it. So maybe
    you're better off with the program Andrew Bailey suggested.

    "George Adams" wrote:

    > I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
    > launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have
    > all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before it
    > started wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down
    > arrow to navigate).
    >
    > In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on
    > the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I tried
    > setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons setting to
    > "Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only
    > lets me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another line.
    >
    > Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of
    > tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use the
    > "taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care for.)
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:45:29 -0500, George Adams
    <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote:
    >Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of
    >tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use the
    >"taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care for.)

    If you unlock your taskbar, you can grab the top and drag it toward
    the top of your screen (assuming it's at the bottom) and that will
    give you a double layer for your taskbar buttons.

    --
    -=Elden=-
    http://www.eldenf.com

    Thanks, Homer; I think you're thinking of the Quick Launch buttons,
    though. I don't need more room for them (I only have 3), and I have the
    separator all the way to the LEFT, which gives the taskbar buttons all
    the remaining space (other than what the tray icons take up).

    What I want to find out is how to fit more of those taskbar buttons
    (i.e. the running tasks) on the bar before they start wrapping onto
    another line.

    Homer wrote:
    > Right-click on the taskbar. Select Unlock the taskbar. Drag the "separator"
    > to the right to get more room.
    >
    > "George Adams" wrote:
    >

    >>I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
    >>launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have
    >>all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before it
    >>started wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down
    >>arrow to navigate).
    >>
    >>In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on
    >>the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I tried
    >>setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons setting to
    >>"Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only
    >>lets me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another line.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of
    >>tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use the
    >>"taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care for.)
    >>
    >>Thanks to anyone who can help.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:uGoPQhjCFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    George Adams <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> typed:

    > Thanks, Homer; I think you're thinking of the Quick Launch
    > buttons,
    > though. I don't need more room for them (I only have 3), and I
    > have
    > the separator all the way to the LEFT, which gives the taskbar
    > buttons all the remaining space (other than what the tray icons
    > take
    > up).
    > What I want to find out is how to fit more of those taskbar
    > buttons
    > (i.e. the running tasks) on the bar before they start wrapping
    > onto
    > another line.

    Although by default the Quick Launch Bar appears on the Task Bar,
    it doesn't have to. Consider dragging it off the Task Bar (unlock
    the Task Bar first) on putting on another side (for example the
    left) of the screeen.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "=?Utf-8?B?SG9tZXI=?=" <Homer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Sorry about that. I had to boot into WinXP to check this so if you
    > still want to do it manually--right-click on the destop, select
    > properties, go to appearance tab, select advanced. The setting is
    > under caption buttons. This will reduce them some but will also reduce
    > them on your title bar and it makes all of the quicklaunch buttons
    > quite small if you overdo it. So maybe you're better off with the
    > program Andrew Bailey suggested.
    >
    > "George Adams" wrote:
    >
    >> I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
    >> launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and
    >> have all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before
    >> it started wrapping to another line (which required the little
    >> up/down arrow to navigate).
    >>
    >> In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons
    >> on the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I
    >> tried setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons
    >> setting to "Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but
    >> that only lets me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to
    >> another line.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number
    >> of tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use
    >> the "taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care
    >> for.)
    >>
    >> Thanks to anyone who can help.

    it will also reduce the size of the icons in the system tray as well.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi George,

    Google for a free proggy called "X-Setup" one of its many features is to be
    able to specify (in pixels) the width of each task button in the taskbar.

    Andy

    "George Adams" <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Homer; I think you're thinking of the Quick Launch buttons,
    > though. I don't need more room for them (I only have 3), and I have the
    > separator all the way to the LEFT, which gives the taskbar buttons all
    > the remaining space (other than what the tray icons take up).
    >
    > What I want to find out is how to fit more of those taskbar buttons
    > (i.e. the running tasks) on the bar before they start wrapping onto
    > another line.
    >
    > Homer wrote:
    > > Right-click on the taskbar. Select Unlock the taskbar. Drag the
    "separator"
    > > to the right to get more room.
    > >
    > > "George Adams" wrote:
    > >

    > >>I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
    > >>launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have
    > >>all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before it
    > >>started wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down
    > >>arrow to navigate).
    > >>
    > >>In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on
    > >>the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I tried
    > >>setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons setting to
    > >>"Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only
    > >>lets me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another
    line.

    > >>Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of
    > >>tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use the
    > >>"taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care for.)
    > >>
    > >>Thanks to anyone who can help.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hi George,

    This tweak does what you exactly want:

    Decrease the size of taskbar buttons (line 97, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could launch maybe 24 or so tasks
    > (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have all their buttons appear on a single line of my
    > taskbar before it started wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down arrow to
    > navigate).
    >
    > In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on the taskbar before they
    > start rolling over to another line. I tried setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and
    > Buttons setting to "Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only lets me
    > fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another line.
    >
    > Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of tasks back on a single
    > line? (preferably without having to use the "taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't
    > really care for.)
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Great! Thanks much.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi George,
    >
    > This tweak does what you exactly want:
    >
    > Decrease the size of taskbar buttons (line 97, left column)

    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "George Adams" <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote in message
    >> I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
    >> launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have
    >> all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before it started
    >> wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down arrow to
    >> navigate).
    >>
    >> In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on
    >> the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I tried
    >> setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons setting to
    >> "Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only lets
    >> me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another line.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of
    >> tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use the
    >> "taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care for.)
    >>
    >> Thanks to anyone who can help.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You are welcome Bob !

    --

    "Bob Chauvin ( Paix dehors )" <nocanspambob_chauvin@yahoo> wrote in message
    > Great! Thanks much.
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi George,
    >>
    >> This tweak does what you exactly want:
    >>
    >> Decrease the size of taskbar buttons (line 97, left column)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "George Adams" <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could launch maybe 24 or so tasks
    >>> (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and have all their buttons appear on a single line of my
    >>> taskbar before it started wrapping to another line (which required the little up/down arrow to
    >>> navigate).
    >>>
    >>> In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons on the taskbar before they
    >>> start rolling over to another line. I tried setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows
    >>> and Buttons setting to "Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style", but that only lets
    >>> me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start wrapping to another line.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number of tasks back on a single
    >>> line? (preferably without having to use the "taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't
    >>> really care for.)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks to anyone who can help.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    I want to thank all who responded to this, especially Andrew and Anando
    for their registry tweaks.

    Setting HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\MinWidth to something
    like "-300" has indeed shrunk down the size of the taskbar icons so I
    fit more items on the taskbar before it wraps to another line.

    However, this registry tweak makes the taskbar icons PERMANENTLY small.
    In a normal Window environment, taskbar icons start off fairly wide
    (150 pixels or so), which allows maybe 5-6 of them to fit on a taskbar.
    When more tasks are launched, the icons begin shrinking in width so
    they can all still fit on the taskbar.

    By setting MinWidth, my taskbar icons are now permanently small. If I'm
    only running one program, its icon is 35 pixels wide, and the entire
    rest of the taskbar is unused.

    So... is there a way to have the best of both worlds? Allow the taskbar
    icons to start off wide, but shrink down to a minimum of 35 pixels as
    more and more tasks are launched before forcing a new line to be added
    to the taskbar?

    Hope that makes sense. Thanks again!
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hi George,

    In my knowledge, that is not possible. Either you can have smaller taskbar buttons or larger ones.
    Having both does not not seem to be an option.

    --

    >I want to thank all who responded to this, especially Andrew and Anando for their registry tweaks.
    >
    > Setting HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\MinWidth to something like "-300" has indeed
    > shrunk down the size of the taskbar icons so I fit more items on the taskbar before it wraps to
    > another line.
    >
    > However, this registry tweak makes the taskbar icons PERMANENTLY small. In a normal Window
    > environment, taskbar icons start off fairly wide (150 pixels or so), which allows maybe 5-6 of
    > them to fit on a taskbar. When more tasks are launched, the icons begin shrinking in width so they
    > can all still fit on the taskbar.
    >
    > By setting MinWidth, my taskbar icons are now permanently small. If I'm only running one program,
    > its icon is 35 pixels wide, and the entire rest of the taskbar is unused.
    >
    > So... is there a way to have the best of both worlds? Allow the taskbar icons to start off wide,
    > but shrink down to a minimum of 35 pixels as more and more tasks are launched before forcing a new
    > line to be added to the taskbar?
    >
    > Hope that makes sense. Thanks again!
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Drag your taskbar to the left side of the screen and have it appear
    vertically. The buttons will then be stacked on top of each other and
    you will have room for plenty. You can also stretch it out wider and
    will get more or a legible label for the buttons. You'll probably want
    to tell it to autohide.

    cmsix

    "George Adams" <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote in message
    > I've just upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. Back in Win2K, I could
    > launch maybe 24 or so tasks (i.e. MSIE, Notepad, Outlook, etc) and
    > have all their buttons appear on a single line of my taskbar before
    > it started wrapping to another line (which required the little
    > up/down arrow to navigate).
    >
    > In XP, however, it appears that I can only get about 12 task buttons
    > on the taskbar before they start rolling over to another line. I
    > tried setting my Display Cpanel : Appearance : Windows and Buttons
    > setting to "Windows Classic Style" instead of "Windows XP Style",
    > but that only lets me fit maybe 15-16 tasks before they start
    > wrapping to another line.
    >
    > Is there a way to customize the taskbar so I can fit my huge number
    > of tasks back on a single line? (preferably without having to use
    > the "taskbar button grouping feature", which I don't really care
    > for.)
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help.

Configuration Taskbar Microsoft Windows XP