Raid problem

tiptonsr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Looking for some help. I have a asus p67 sabertooth revision 3 with windows 7 on two 60 gb ssd's set in raid 0 with a hdd set for storage, well I installed a new psu and then unplugged the optical drive and plugged in a third ssd (was just trying to see if it would be "seen" in the uefi. Since then none of my drives are showing up in the BIOS. I figure I messed up some settings either installing the new psu or plugging in the third ssd. Any help would be much appreciated.....

tiptonsr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Will this "break" the raid configuration? I bought this system with windows installed and I don't have a disk to boot from. I am trying to avoid having to buy windows. If I don't have a choice so be it but I want to try all options before breaking the raid 0 if its not already....

Clearing your cmos resets and clears your BIOS settings to their default values.
The ports you connect your RAID drives to will reset to IDE or AHCI mode, so your RAID array will be temporarily "broken", but all you have to do after you reconnect your drives is to change the SATA mode back to RAID.

tiptonsr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I think that might be the problem, the raid is enabled but I see ahci enabled also this is my
First time dealing with raid so I am fairly ignorant with the settings what should the BIOS settings look like?

tiptonsr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
the two ssd (boot drives) in raid 0 are plugged into the Intel® P67 Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors
(7-pin SATA6G_1/2 [brown]) slot. while the 1tb hdd (storage) and OD are in the intel 3.0 Gb/s connection. Nothing is plugged into the Marvell 6.0 Gb/s slots. I noticed that in the bios the Marvell controller is enabled is this suppose to be or just the intel controller? I am lost as to why none of the hard drives are showing up in bios only the OD is.

tiptonsr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
ok figured it out basically I made the error of assuming a coolmaster 650w psu's power cables would work on a 850w coolermaster psu so when I switched out the psu and plugged in the old cables to the new one somehow I fried all three hard drives dumb rookie move oh well put in a new 1tb hdd and 120gb ssd and works fine...... some lessons are learned the hard way.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

O.O
You sure the drives are fried?

I had the same problem where one SSD will not be detected during post, so no boot just get a screen OS not found. Restart pc and drive is detected but have to reboot again for the RAID controller to start up and boot OS.

I've updated my BIOS a few weeks ago and never seen the issue again.

Hope it is that same for you and nor fried SSDs :p

tiptonsr

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Well after doing multiple setting changes in BIOS changing from raid
to achi, doing a complete cmos reset and spending about 6 hours trouble shooting trying to get the BIOS to see any of tjene three hard drives to no avail
I finally gave up and took in the drives to compusa (where I bought the psu) and had their
Tech try to fire up the two ssd's or the hdd and nothing all three wouldnt even turn on.
Basically what happened was i had å 650w psu all hooked up when I installed the new 850w I
Left the drives hooked up as they were thinking that same brand psu would be ok with the original
Cables, I guess not cant think of why else three quality drives would crap out at the same time. Might try rma ING them back to ocz but not hopeful.