Sign in with
Your question

500 watt not enough for 5770?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
August 1, 2010 7:33:00 PM

Here is the problem: My Sapphire 5770 came in the mail today. I threw it into my PC and nothing comes up on my monitor. Nothing will even come up onto my monitor if I try and use my onboard graphics. Once I take it out though, the onboard works fine. Here is the power supply I am currently using: http://www.rosewill.com/products/372/productDetail.htm ..

The current specs of my PC are a P4 3.0 gHz and 2Gb DDR ram. Next week though, I am ordering the i3 530. I already have 4GB of DDR3 1333 ram. Can someone please tell me what the problem is? And give me some advice on what power supply I should buy if that's my problem...

Thanks

More about : 500 watt 5770

a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
August 1, 2010 7:50:14 PM

You can't have a separate video card installed while using onboard graphics. You have to choose which one you will be using. Once the card is installed, it's all you can use. I use the onboard cpu graphics for an i3 530 cpu, and it does the same thing.
m
l
August 1, 2010 7:55:03 PM

go into bios with the onboard video and look for a setting like video or something and select an option like "use card"
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
August 1, 2010 8:00:19 PM

Expecting other components soon, you may just want to wait and figure it out then. With the i3 purchase you will need a 1156 compatible motherboard.
As far as your current PC rejecting GFX card a couple things come to mind. The onboard GFX will likely need disabled within the BIOS. To do this; enter setup from initial boot screen, simply disable GFX from within the menus there, shutdown PC and then install new card and power on. System should recognize your new card then. If not, google any part or all these steps particular to your PC and you`ll get it. Have fun with your new card.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
August 1, 2010 8:12:02 PM

themuffinmanm said:
go into bios with the onboard video and look for a setting like video or something and select an option like "use card"

uldn't need to do that. Most motherboards with integrated video will automatically recognize the presence of a video card and deactivate the integrated GPU.

A good 500 watt PSU will power a 5770. A 500 watt Rosewill is not a good PSU.
m
l
August 1, 2010 8:29:09 PM

jsc said:
uldn't need to do that. Most motherboards with integrated video will automatically recognize the presence of a video card and deactivate the integrated GPU.

A good 500 watt PSU will power a 5770. A 500 watt Rosewill is not a good PSU.

Worked for me when putting a video card into a dell. Might be because it was an old dell.
m
l
!