Another cpu (for MB d865perl) question :)

I am looking to upgrade my current cpu, an Intel Pentium 4 2.40Ghz to a more powerful one. I realize that I cannot go much higher but, just out of curiosity, what is the most powerful processor I can use?

Can I use INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.06GHZ HT CPU PROCESSOR SL6S5 478 PIN and if so, can I do better?

Thank you
16 answers Last reply
More about another d865perl question
  1. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865perl/sb/CS-026961.htm

''Can I use INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.06GHZ HT CPU PROCESSOR SL6S5 478 PIN?''

Yes.

''and if so, can I do better?''

not by much.
  2. I am still using that mobo with a P4 3.0 CPU. The fastest you can get is a 3.4 (which you can get on Ebay for around $40). Check out the THG 2004 CPU charts to see if it would matter to you that much to what you do.

I am ready to build a new i7 rig.
  3. Thank you for your response, but I would like to get the "most" out of any monies, I spend for this upgrade, as it will be the last before this computer sees it's backup computer status.
    So... when you say "not by much", could I burden you to maybe tell me what is the best possible processor for this particular motherboard?
  4. ''Can I use INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.06GHZ HT CPU PROCESSOR SL6S5 478 PIN?''

Yes.

The fastest you can get is a 3.4 (which you can get on Ebay for around $40).

Now I'm getting confused... lol
  5. rofl it says 3.06, not 3.6.... and you said it first i just quoted you! lol! :D
  6. so what is the highest Ghz? 3.90?
  7. Sry bout all this I'm a bit tired. Just want to know exactly what is the most powerful processor I can get for this motherboard.
  8. K, I found this on ebay and am wondering if it will work?

Intel Pentium 4 SL7J8 3.4GHz 1M 800MHz CPU Processor

I'll just get this one if it works and that's that. lol
  9. That one will work.
    Make sure you are rumming Bios version P13 or later before installing the processor. Could cause it to not boot or major instabilities.
  10. I just downloaded and installed the latest BIOS version for this motherboard. I believe it to be version P21.
  11. Alright I'll bite. What is your budget for this upgrade? If you live near a MicroCenter, you can just as easily get a FREE motherboard with a
    AMD processor purchase that would run circles over a Pentium 4 upgrade: http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/0727_AMDbundle.html
  12. cpatel1987 said:
    Alright I'll bite. What is your budget for this upgrade? If you live near a MicroCenter, you can just as easily get a FREE motherboard with a
    AMD processor purchase that would run circles over a Pentium 4 upgrade: http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/0727_AMDbundle.html

Thank you for this response.

I'm upgrading this computer to use as a back-up. I am going to start building my own new computer and will probably use the link you provided for my starter processor and board.

Thank you
  13. The fastest CPU for a socket 478 motherboard is the 3.4 Northwood. Can you click the link I provided above, select your CPU and the 3.4 Northwood in the chart, and click the COMPARE button? If not, I wish you luck!
  14. Does anyone know if this board can handle a dual core processor?
  15. Unolocogringo said:
    That one will work.
    Make sure you are rumming Bios version P13 or later before installing the processor. Could cause it to not boot or major instabilities.

You are wrong. I bought this CPU and it does not work. It doesn't even fit on my mobo, not even close.

Thanks a lot.
  16. plokert said:
    You are wrong. I bought this CPU and it does not work. It doesn't even fit on my mobo, not even close.

Thanks a lot.

This motherboard supports a single Intel® processor in an mPGA478 socket NOT a PPGA478 socket (which is the socket in the processor you're referring to!)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Processors