Sign in with
Your question
Closed

2ms vs 5ms, noticeable?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2010 7:09:09 AM

This may be the wrong forum, if so someone can move it for me or just delete it and tell me the proper place. But anyway...

So I'm thinking about buying a set of two monitors to replace my aging single Acer 19" (with 1680 x 1050 max res... somehow).

I was thinking of going ahead and buying a monitor with DisplayPort, for the time when I upgrade my Radeon HD 4780 to the HD 5xxx series (which, in reality, probably won't happen until the 6xxx series, but hey). I realize there are various converters out there to convert DisplayPort to DVI, but rather not have to deal with them.

So my question is: Is there a noticeable difference between a 5ms response rate and a 2ms response rate?

In more detail:
I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 different monitors:

1. Dell P2210H (the monitor with a DisplayPort)
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/produ...

2. Asus VH226H (the monitor w/o DisplayPort, but 2ms)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've never bought an Asus monitor before, nor have I ever used one, but we have video producers here at work that use two 23" Asus monitors on their Mac Pros, and from what I've seen I'm pretty impressed. But to be honest the real reason why I'm looking at the Asus monitor is because NewEgg has a screaming deal on them at the moment. The only thing that I'm reluctant about the Asus monitor is the built-in speakers... the whole "Oh-no! an unnecessary crappy part that will probably annoy me in some way, shape, or form" flag pops into my head.

I've used several Dell monitors before (only in an office environment), and have always been impressed with their monitors, but to be fair I've only used their "Professional" series. Plus the added bonus of being able to adjust height/tilt/etc. on the Dell monitor makes it seem a better overall deal than the Asus.

So anyway, would you fork over the extra $40 or so for the Dell with DisplayPort, or is the 2ms so noticeable in gaming that I should just hit the cheaper route, and then worry about the DisplayPort -> DVI conversion later?

Oh, and other monitor recommendations are welcome. Looking for something around 21.5" (no larger than 23", but bigger than 19") with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080, but I might go for 1680x1050. Budget max of $250/monitor.

More about : 2ms 5ms noticeable

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2010 7:12:05 AM

the link ti the first monitor doesn't seem to work.

first thing noticed though is that its 2ms GTG (grey to grey) this isn't true response time. as 'real' response time is measured in black to black or white to white. so in reality this is probably a 5ms monitor.

so i that case, i would recommend the one with display port (i can't see its stats, but assuming it really has 5ms and everything else you want, id get it)
Score
April 26, 2010 7:17:44 AM

Assuming gray-to-gray, the difference between 2ms & 5 ms is minutely negligible. You really cannot tell them apart. So the answer to your question is a categorical "No"
Score
Related resources
April 26, 2010 7:20:12 AM

I fixed the link (I think) in the original message. Also here:

"http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/produ..."

I forgot that links on the Dell site somehow break when you do a search.

As for the grey to grey, I never knew what "GTG" was until now. Seems like Asus likes to use it a lot when they advertise their monitors, though. I remember seeing a monitor that they advertised had a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, but it wasn't true contrast, just some random named technology that was supposed to simulate the ratio.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2010 7:41:55 AM

Ragnar-Kon said:
I fixed the link (I think) in the original message. Also here:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/produ...

I forgot that links on the Dell site somehow break when you do a search.

As for the grey to grey, I never knew what "GTG" was until now. Seems like Asus likes to use it a lot when they advertise their monitors, though. I remember seeing a monitor that they advertised had a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, but it wasn't true contrast, just some random named technology that was supposed to simulate the ratio.

yes, thats 'dynamic' contrast ratio. it and GTG are the two biggest lies in the monitor world.

basically you want a monitor with no more than 5ms response time, if its 2ms GTG that probably translates to 5ms. if its 5ms GTG, you dont want it at all. it will ghost terribly.

unfortunatly there seems to be nobody controlling what these manufactures say about their products. so they can make up stats and present it in a non-standard way to fool people into thinking they are buying something better than they really are. should not be allowed IMO. there should be standards on things like this. enough of my rant though.

yes, i would say to go for the asus monitor. it looks pretty good. maybe just check out an official review before you buy (things like backlight bleed or difficult connections wont be mentioned on the website).
Score
April 26, 2010 7:54:23 AM

5ms is faster then the eye can see thus the difference of 3ms between the two monitors would not matter unless you had super vision or some other need to see the image 3ms faster.

Dell link is still broken but basing my information on the Asus monitor, I would say get the Asus but it is not for the milliseconds but its price with resolution.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2010 8:13:44 AM

smart_monkey said:
5ms is faster then the eye can see thus the difference of 3ms between the two monitors would not matter unless you had super vision or some other need to see the image 3ms faster.

Dell link is still broken but basing my information on the Asus monitor, I would say get the Asus but it is not for the milliseconds but its price with resolution.

under certian conditions, the difference between 5 or 8 milliseconds is massive. "ghosting' is a common problem on some monitors with more than 5ms response time. and it only take s afew extra ms to make that difference. you may not be able to see the individual changes, but all it takes is a couple extra ms to show obvious ghosting.

weather theres a difference under 5ms is debatble. ive heard peopel argue red that its a big difference, and ive seen pictures of said ghosting on 5ms monitors that would seem to justify that. but i have had no expereince of it first hand, so could not say for sure.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2010 12:06:48 PM

I've seen 5ms GTG moniters ghost; even my trusty Samsung Syncmaster T240 does it, and thats rated as 2ms GTG for gods sake!

The time it takes a pixel to change state is not uniform across the entire moniter, or across the entire color spectrum.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2010 12:33:41 PM

5ms and 2ms means almost nothing. Now 5ms and 2ms on a spec means absolutely nothing.

For that one shade of grey they are testing to generate that number, it may very well be 2ms or 5ms. However if you take black to black which is usually the slowest measurement, most monitors would have a response time all the way up to 12ms.

You shouldn't worry about a trailing image but worry more about large input lag. Which monitors may have as much as 30ms.
Score
April 26, 2010 1:50:38 PM

I went from a 2ms LG TN to a 6ms Dell IPS and I never looked back. I noticed zero difference. Just to note, I do play FPS games like crysis, bioshock, half life 2 etc.

If you are going for a 22", there is NO better monitor than this one: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/produ...

It is the perfect 22" monitor, especilly for its price. It is an IPS screen btw, so no colour simulation, reduced dithering, and better viewing angles.

I own a U2410 myself.
Score
April 26, 2010 3:37:33 PM

Alright... this Dell link is pissin me off. Tryin again..

"http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/pr..."

And yes... you get to copy and paste.

I'm thinkin about going with the Dell, now that I see through the 2ms lies. I think that having the DisplayPort & and fully adjustable stand is more beneficial in the end (the ASUS only does tilt). Plus I work for a University, and so we have a Dell Education Gold contract, which brings down the price to $208 with free shipping.

But before I decide completely, does anyone have any other monitors they would recommend?
Score
April 26, 2010 4:51:32 PM

That's a TN panel right there, so all that tilt and swiveling wont do you any good when TN have horrid viewing angles. Trust me when I tell you that once you switch to IPS you will never go back, the Ultrasharp I linked also has the tilt swivel and portrait features.
Score
April 26, 2010 8:57:56 PM

I would also suggest you to check Alienware Optx 2210. I know it is a bit pricey, but trust me, you do want to take a look at it. It is 21,5" @ 1920x1080. It is pretty much designed for gaming, so the response time is good (2ms). Also you can adjust height, swivel and the like. It is a TN panel, so some people fret about it, but I find the viewing angles good, definitely not horrid. I like the colors as well, but must say honestly, I have never used an IPS panel.

I think it is about 299 bucks in the USA, but it comes with 3-year no-pixel-failure warranty and it is an Alienware! (Alienware is a subdivision of Dell.) So, just check it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2010 11:20:55 PM

I would recommend a IPS panel over some gimmicky TN panel. 120hz isn't really that much smoother to be worth the extra $100.

Now IPS panels have excelent color. True 16.7 million colors look a LOT better than 256k colors + dithering. The viewing angle is excelent but honestly not that important if you have a screen less than 24".

I got the 30" dell and I love it. Never going back to TN panel ever.
Score
April 27, 2010 12:32:12 AM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I would recommend a IPS panel over some gimmicky TN panel. 120hz isn't really that much smoother to be worth the extra $100.

Now IPS panels have excelent color. True 16.7 million colors look a LOT better than 256k colors + dithering. The viewing angle is excelent but honestly not that important if you have a screen less than 24".

I got the 30" dell and I love it. Never going back to TN panel ever.

This!
Score
!