Sign in with
Your question

Help me build a i7 rig $1500-$2000 budget

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2010 5:09:51 PM

BUDGET RANGE: $1500-$2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 80% gaming , surfing the net, watching movies, video editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Asus, corsair, saphire, i dont like gigabyte , ATI then nvidia but it depends

OVERCLOCKING: Yes mild overclocks , 4.0-4.2

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: yes i need a rig that can keep a high overclock stable, keep cool long hours , and play quiet at night without sacrifice cooling. I would like to be future proof at least 2 years with minimal upgrades such as adding ram and another gpu for trifire or crossfire depending on GPU.

Hello i had a amd build but i was told that if my budget was this big it better i go intel.

I dont really need the most best parts i just want it to last a good while with minimal upgrades.

I need a good Gpu maybe 5870 vapor x by sapphire or a 5970 what would be best for the future?

If i could save some cash it would be nice and also i need a SSD for a boot drive and also to hold a good amount of games i need the fast load times=).

thanks in advice.

This rig isfor strctly gaming and i want to be able to max games for a couple of years like maybe1 or 2
May 30, 2010 6:27:40 PM

a 5970 is a bad buy its marginally beaten by 5850CF and is far more expensive. Can you put a system together based on what you think so we can comment? Most people including me don't want to find all the system parts.
m
l
May 31, 2010 12:15:37 AM

I would personally buy the 5870, and then upgrade with a 2nd 5870 when they come down in price.
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2010 1:45:09 AM

i did some searching and this is what i came up with please evaluate

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel

ASUS ROG MATRIX 5870 P/2DIS/2GD5 Radeon HD 5870 Platinum 2GB 256-bit

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active ...

How is this for gaming long hours 8+ and for future proof for about 1-2 years maybe ill xfire
m
l
May 31, 2010 1:57:51 AM

Several ideas. I would buy the P6X58D-E over the P6T SE, and its actually cheaper right now at Newegg due to the promotion they're running. You can save some money getting the 750TX rather than the 750HX. Modular PSUs are a waster of money IMHO, unless you change components a lot. Asus Matrix is overkill. Pretty cool if you can spend it like that, but definitely an area where you can save money, and get the same performance. Lastly, if you're spending this much, get the Storm Sniper or HAF 922/933 over the Scout. If you can wait the HAF X will be available soon.
m
l
May 31, 2010 2:50:53 AM

well about the GPU i just want a card that can last me about 1 or 2 years maybe crossfire in the future.

I hope the cooler is good because i want to squeeze the most of this processor.

Im not really looking to spend $2000 i just wanna spend enough this time and future proff myself because it will be like 2-4 years before

i upgrade again and i wanna play the best of games at good graphics.

My original budget was $1000! but i found some cash i stashed about 2 years ago that i forgot maybe because i didnt need it.

The less i spend the better it doesn't mean that i want to blow 2k on a pc i just wanna pay for future proof so i dont have to worry

about upgrading for a while and again maybe i would xfire and add peripherals in the future like fan controller and all of that and i

dont need case lights IMHO i will get annoyed by it.

*edit*about the case i don't really need a fancy one just something that can be transported if needed and can keep my hardware safe

I would really like a neat case thats why i chose modular but if it saves me money i will buy the non modular.

I just will have to prepare for extra cable management =)

m
l
May 31, 2010 3:08:54 AM

Sniper is a great LAN case with awesome cable management. It does have lights, but also an exterior switch to disable them. In the case of the GPU, I would definitely just buy whichever 5870 is cheapest when you make the purchase rather than get the Matrix. The cooler is awesome, if you're shooting for a 24/7 4.0GHz OC. If not, then the Scythe Mugen Rev B is cooler and quieter at 1/3rd the price.
m
l
May 31, 2010 3:55:06 AM

I agree with Chuckles, your build of i7-930, P6X58D-E and 6GB G-skill ram is very good and consistent.
For the GPU getting one 5870 (not the Matrix, that only benefits huge resolutions) and getting another one in the future would be ideal for you.
I also recommend the Scythe Mugen Rev B cooler, it performs well and is quiet. Probably performs marginally worse than the Noctua, but for a much lower price as previously stated.
For the case it really doesn't matter that much, these parts will fit into any modern case , its all about looks and good airflow ( which again most modern cases have) .

Other than that I think you are going to be very happy from the machine ;) 
m
l
!