alsstuffal

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
HD Tune 2.55 result for Dell D610 laptop, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 800MHz clock, 1GB,TOSHIBA_MK4032GAX
xfer rates:
min 1.7MBps, max 2.4, avg 2.3, burst 2.4
access: 17.4ms CPU usage 96.2%
Active: UDMA5, Quick scan: no errors
Reallocated Sector count - yellow, data=60
disk access went to hell about a month ago
Anything here I can fix?
TIA
alsstuffal

Manoj90

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
just stop the antivirus in the task manager and check cpu usage is same as 96% if at all the same change antivirus or format your system this may give full solution

alsstuffal

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hi - Thanks for the reply. The AV was off for the performance tests. Dell has a series of software updates that aren't easy to find, called Notebook System Software. Look through the "Applies to" entries till you find your notebook model. The updated drivers solved my problem!

Dell Notebook System Software
Release Date: 6/13/2007
Version: A25 5.1.0
Importance: Optional
Download Type: Utility
File Format: Hard-Drive
File Size: 8MB

New HD Tune results:
HD Tune 2.55 result for Dell D610 laptop, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 800MHz clock, 1GB,TOSHIBA_MK4032GAX
xfer rates:
min 1.1MBps, max 30.4, avg 19.0, burst 62.8
access: 17.4ms CPU usage 6.5%
Active: UDMA5, Quick scan: no errors
Reallocated Sector count - yellow, data=60

I suspect that the original problem was that Windows had dropped from DMA mode (fast) to PIO mode (slow) after recording an excessive number of CRC errors. If so, then expect this to happen again.

In fact the minimum transfer rate of 1.1MBps would suggest that the drive still has problems. Moreover, it is reporting 60 reallocated (ie bad) sectors which means that it does indeed have media probems.

The reason that a firmware update resulted in a temporary fix is probably because the updated drive appeared like a replacement, in which case Windows reverted to the DMA default.

See http://winhlp.com/node/10

alsstuffal

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hi fzabkar; I'm sure HD Tune 2.55 (freebie) doesn't tell the whole story, but it reported UDMA Mode 5, Supported and Active, both before and after the driver updates. Should I infer from your message that the program is not to be trusted? I had the dvd.reset app at the ready, but I didn't use it when HD Tune didn't report PIO.

I agree that the media probably has problems, but the owner of the notebook is pleased with its performance. I interpreted your message to mean that further problems can be expected and I passed that alert on to him.

Thank you for your thoughts on this problematic drive.