Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 on SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 19, 2012 5:02:36 AM

i just bought a cosair force GT 120GB SSD and want to put my windows 7 OS on it from my current HDD. I from some resaerch that there are some things i need to make sure to do and am just looking for pointers on install my current copy of windows 7 onto my new SSD. thanks in dvance to anynoe who comments

More about : windows ssd

a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 8:00:30 AM

jegelbagel said:
i just bought a cosair force GT 120GB SSD and want to put my windows 7 OS on it from my current HDD. I from some resaerch that there are some things i need to make sure to do and am just looking for pointers on install my current copy of windows 7 onto my new SSD. thanks in dvance to anynoe who comments

In fact, to do a fresh install on your new SSD is the best way, however, if you do not want to re-install OS or other applications, you could try to migrate your os to SSD from old HDD by some system migration tool.
As I know, here are two migration tool, Paragon migrate tool 2.0 and Partition Assistant Home Edition (freeware).

No matter which software you select, change your disk mode from IDE to Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an important step. However, if you change IDE to AHCI in Bios directly after installed OS, you will find you could not boot into your system. This is also the reason why peoples suggest reinstall OS. Do not worry; we could change something else in our “regedit” to avoid this problem.

1)Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

2) Navigate to the location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

4) Restart computer go into the BIOS-> configuration->change the disk mode to "AHCI" (IDE is set as default commonly ) . Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and does one more reboot to start up with them.

5) Install the latest driver of your motherboard.

Note: This method only works in Windows 7, Windows XP could not support.
If your CPU is based on AMD platform, you need to do another step, download the “AMD RAIDXpert” from AMD official website, then log in it and turn on NCQ mode. This is important.
If your CPU is based on Intel platform, you need no to do this, the NCQ mode is turned on autonomic when you change ide to ahci and install the latest driver of motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
!