Ajs47951

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
im looking to overclock one of my old Gaming PC CPU that i made. well i was looking at some stuff and found this and i have know idea what this means
2rmb0a1.jpg

Solution
It's usually a jumper setting to reset CMOS but nevermind, you will need to reset the boot order and as the default is to boot from floppy and halt on all errors you will need to disable the floppy seek option.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

Hmm...hyperthread clockspeed? The other possibility is power saving feature, but I don't recall a Pentium 4 having it. Never seen that before. Check system information instead and see what it is. Heck if you want triple check with program CPUID, tis free.

Download CPU-Z and post a screen shot of the first tab. The 2.4GHz is the speed its supposed to be, the number you boxed is the actual clock speed. It seems like you might have some bad memory too, 992MB isnt a standard number, im not even sure how you can get to that number.

Ajs47951

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
this is what Cpuz shows
2ytnp08.jpg

allso this

30m1hzl.jpg

And there is 32mb integrated graphics but i don't use it because i have a 6800Gtx in it
but this is not the pc im using all just for LAN party

Also for Ram theres 2 sticks of 512 im going to add 3gigs

And i can't remember if this cpu has hyperthread its been a long time and if it has it how would hyperthread make it any faster?
Im not a Intel fan AMD is were its at lol

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Check your BIOS settings because according to this: http://www.computing.net/answers/cpus/p4-24ghz-running-at-179ghz/15151.html, your clock settings might be incorrect. Either that or the motherboard doesn't support the max FSB. Also, set your BIOS to use the graphics card only.

Ajs47951

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
will do that right now will pics in like 2min maybe

heres what i have it at
ra0pih.jpg

Also how do i set BIOS to use the graphics card only. were at would i go?

14mwg75.jpg

And Thanks every one for the help and for posting :sol:

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

I don't know the exact location for the graphics settings, but fish around its gotta be there somewhere. While looking, just look for on board graphics option or integrated graphics option or something labeled like that.

Also set the CPU Host/SDRAM/PCI clock to default first cuz I don't know what memory you have.

Ajs47951

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
:pfff: now i just tryed to over clock the cpu and did not look at what i did and now the bios dose not like me lol
so i restated and the pc started to beep........ :fou: last time i herd a pc do that i burnt up the cpu so i unplug from the wall as fast as i could........... :eek: so how can i get the bios back to default because the screen is black? :(

Do a CMOS reset, then when you are re-entering the BIOS settings go into the "Integrated Peripherals" menu and see if your onboard VGA can be turned off.

TRENDING THREADS