Sign in with
Your question

HTPC AMD-build... which mobo Asus vs. Gigabyte?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 20, 2011 8:08:59 PM

I am building a mid-range HTPC mATX with Athlon X4 and am still confused as to the best mobo betwee Asus and Gigabyte?!

Which of these two you recommend?

Gigabyte 880:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus 880:

They are very very similar, but it comes down to pretty much brand... I've had both in the past with no issues, but at least from marketing perspective, it looks like Gigabyte is building better boards now, with 2oz Copper, better Japanese capacitors, etc... while at the same time Asus *might* have a better BIOS?!

Any help is appreciated!!!

Cheers!

PS. There's also this MSI board (890)... better video, but older audio chip! Not sure about the MSI brand though.

MSI 890:
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 9:48:43 PM

MSI is a highly respected brand all-around this world, with some great products.

Although both of these motherboards utilize the same chipset, I would personally opt for the Asus board because I've never had any issues with them and they're very reliable whereas the first and only Gigabyte motherboard I've ever had died after but 3 months!

However I would take that MSI-890 board over the other 2.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 9:54:44 PM

I'm much more of an MSI guy. Their boards are built like tanks, and everything I've owned of theirs has been absolutely rock solid. I'd set the list as follows:

1 and 2. Asus and MSI
3. Gigabyte
4. BioStar
5 and 6. ASRock and Foxconn
7. Jetway. I'd avoid them at all costs.

I know people will disagree with that, but that's just based on my personal experiences and reviews. Those are only motherboards, though... ;) 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 11:30:02 PM

Hey alex, I see you're still struggling with your motherboard decision.

Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI are pretty much on everybody's top 3 list here. The order of that top 3 list will vary from one person to another though because you'll always find someone who had a bad experience at one time with one of them and they'll rate it lower because of it. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them.

At this point you've narrowed down the choice to 3 very nice motherboards. I think the MSI has the edge with the better video on the 890GX, though it does cost $30 more because of it. Don't worry about the audio on the MSI. It still has a nice audio chip and if you are going to be sending your audio digitally over HDMI or S/PDIF to a receiver then it doesn't matter anyway.

Toyota, Honda, or Nissan? They're all pretty good.
Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI? They're all pretty good.

At this point just pick the one that "looks pretty" since they'll all do exactly what you want them to do :lol: 

Maybe check out their respective websites and see which one you like the layout better... who has the easiest to find downloads, etc.
m
l
February 21, 2011 12:25:36 AM

rwpritchett said:
Hey alex, I see you're still struggling with your motherboard decision.

Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI are pretty much on everybody's top 3 list here. The order of that top 3 list will vary from one person to another though because you'll always find someone who had a bad experience at one time with one of them and they'll rate it lower because of it. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them.

At this point you've narrowed down the choice to 3 very nice motherboards. I think the MSI has the edge with the better video on the 890GX, though it does cost $30 more because of it. Don't worry about the audio on the MSI. It still has a nice audio chip and if you are going to be sending your audio digitally over HDMI or S/PDIF to a receiver then it doesn't matter anyway.

Toyota, Honda, or Nissan? They're all pretty good.
Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI? They're all pretty good.

At this point just pick the one that "looks pretty" since they'll all do exactly what you want them to do :lol: 

Maybe check out their respective websites and see which one you like the layout better... who has the easiest to find downloads, etc.

Yup, am still stuck! :) 

Any BIOS difference between the three? I might go with MSI then, cause it's got better video and if I don't do too much gaming (still debating PC vs. PS3/Xbox), might just be fine.
m
l
!