Samsung hard drive raid 0 larger partition

gregsphx

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Have 500 GB Raid 0, replace drives with 1 TB drive, still only used 500 GB, how do I expand the partition? Win 7

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

When you add a new hard drive into your raid array, the space of the new disk may be show as unallocated space at the end of partition. With help of the function "extend volume" in Windows 7 disk management, you could add them into your target partition. you should also notice that the "extend volume" only alive when it is next to your target partition or it will grayed out. For example, here we have three partitions, C,D,E and an unallocated space at the end of the hard disk. I could only add it into E:, if I want to add it into D I need first delete E, if I want to add it into C, I need delete both D and E.

If you do not want to loss your existing partition, you could only use other partition software which enable you to move partition. Here is an article about how to extend volume in Windows 7
Hope this could help you

In RAID, all drives must be the same size or larger. The larger drive get truncated to the size of the smallest drive. If you already have two 500 gig drives in raid 0, then only 500 gig will be used on the terabyte drive making your raid array a three 500 gig array totaling 1.5TB.

TRENDING THREADS