500 watt not enough for 5770?

G

Here is my problem: My Sapphire HD5770 came in the mail the other day, so I threw it into my PC. I turn my computer on, and nothing shows up on my monitor. I fiddle around with my card to make sure it's fully in the motherboard and it is. I try it again and I get the same result. I leave the card in and I switch to my onboard video, I get the same result. I then take out the video card and the onboard video works fine. I went into the BIOS and changed the video configuration to PCIE graphics and the same thing happens, nothing shows up on the monitor.

I'm thinking it's my power supply. Here is the PSU I'm currently using.. http://www.rosewill.com/products/372/productDetail.htm .. Right now, I have a Gateway motherboard with a P4 3.0gHz CPU and 2 gigs of DDR ram. Next week, though, I'm purchasing this motherboard/CPU combo: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5635117&CatId=4721 .. I already have the 4 gigs of DDR3 memory. Any suggestions from you guys with the same i3/5770 combo? I'd like to get some advice on which power supply I should buy along with the i3 next week...

Thanks for your help.

G

Yes, I hooked up the 6 pin connector. I didn't install the software, because according to the installation manual, you're supposed to install the card, THEN the drivers. I don't know though, I will have to try that.

loneninja

Distinguished
It's possible the 5770 is DOA, but it's not that likely. I had a 4670 die the first week I had installed it, it gave no signal to the monitor but it's fan powered on. I had 3 different computers to try it in, so I was able to prove the card was dead.

G

I'm not sure what the problem is... I think I might just have to wait until I get the new motherboard, because that could also somewhat be the problem. I can't get to anything in my BIOS that will let me disable the onboard video. I've installed a GTS 250 and a 3870 before, and they automatically were picked up by my computer..

G

That's good to hear, then. I'm on a Gateway 500GR. No idea how old it is. Next week though, I'm buying a new Gigabyte motherboard. I should be good then, right?

G

I'm going to try that. I have 25 more days to return the item. Hopefully it's something to do with my motherboard and what not. When the card is turned on though, the fan is spinning and a light comes on on the back of the card. So I don't know, I've never had this happen to me before.

G

I've done some research and I'm thinking its the combination of the motherboard and the card. The 5770 has backwards compatibility issues with 1.0 PCI-E. For some it will work, for some it will not. Once I get the new motherboard, all my problems should be solved. To anyone thinking about getting the 5770 and have an older board, think about getting a new board to save you some frustration ;)