Not sure about my purchase

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hi

I have a crappy Dell XPS 600.

My video card was overheating so I needed a new one and didn't want to buy a new PC or upgrade any other parts in my current PC.

I was going to buy a GF 9600GT but they were out of stock at my local store so the guy sold me an ASUS ENGT240.

I just read a couple of threads on this forum and it seems like it's a really bad choice for the price, am I right?

I know there is a lot of better cards but with my hold Pentium D CPU, I thought it wasn't worth it to buy something better because it would be bottlenecked by the CPU but is there anything else with a better value for performance/price?

The good thing with this card from what I've read is that it doesn't make much noise and doesn't need a lot of energy...so if I can't have a good video card...might as well have a silent one lol

Thanks

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Yeah that's what i saw while surfing on the net after my purchase.
So I just went back to the store to get my money back.

Seems like I could get something a lot better for the same price on Newegg.

I paid 115$ =tx for the GT240.

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
So, what would be the best card for my PC?

Should I just buy the same card on Newegg for less money or should I buy something a little better?

I heard ATI is better these days.

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
And one last question.

Any chance one of those cards won't be compatible with my motherboard?

I tried the GT240 I bought earlier today and it seemed like it was working well so I'm guessing the GTS250 will be fine but I don't know anything about the ATI cards.

$50-60 is not a bad price.

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Well, I was looking at the GTS250 and 4850 and saw that the GT240 after the MIR is like half the price of those cards.

Maybe I might see better specials on the other cards if I wait a bit.

I forgot where I saw it, but someone upgraded from that to a GTX 480, and it was louder than the GTX 480 at 100% fan speed.

Possible he had a defective fan like you......

( A hig percentagae of those cards have fualty fans, something about the ball bearings in the fan or soemthing_

It's selection bias. If you get a dead card or have a problem you are 100x more likely to leave a review in order to bitch about it.