Sign in with
Your question

Steaming Hot Phenom II x3

Last response: in CPUs
August 2, 2010 1:04:56 AM

I already posted this at tech guy but am still looking for some solutions

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/939795-hot-phenom-ii...

any idea's?

More about : steaming hot phenom

August 2, 2010 1:30:14 PM

Quote:
Well when you don't even know what processor you have, your bound to be having some kind of issues. Someone even posted on Tech Guy that there is no such thing as a Phenom II X3 445, yet you still say that's what it is when you come to Tom's Hardware...........So apparently you aren't paying attention to anything they are saying over there, why would you pay attention to what we tell you?

1st of all, AS5 can take up to 100 hours to cure. How much did you use?

Secondly, have you compared Speedfan with another program like.....say.... Coretemp?

If its not what Newegg says it is, couldn't that be considered as false advertising? What type of chip do I have then?

This is what core temp is giving me...
model: AMD Athlon II x4 645 ...... I Googled this and it hasn't even been released yet?

CPU temp: 0c (?)

weired!

As far as artic silver i applied the equivalent to one BB pellet
a c 103 à CPUs
August 2, 2010 3:34:44 PM

Have you got Cpu-id to id the chip before AND after unlocking?
if not, D/l that and post us some screenies of the resulting info
I'm leaning towards you have used too much As5 as well and as Zip said, theres curing time involved
Moto
Related resources
August 2, 2010 3:53:42 PM

cpu id is giving me Phenom II x4 b45.... which is the same as I get during post.

The temps have dropped a little in the last few day. It idles now around 43...

I'm not the bothered by the fan volume. Can I get away with <60c under load?

Also, should I have the CPU fan blowing air directly on the heatsink or sucking air through it?

Right now the fan is sucking air though it and firing it right at the 120mm case exhaust fan.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 2, 2010 5:39:24 PM

That set up for the fan is fine,maybe a pushpull config with another (matched) fan if you wantedto,
under 60' on load is possible ofc, just how your airflow is set up and how many fans you have (Decent cfm fans I assume)
I have an AMD X3 435 and it unlocks as a Phenom II X4 B35 (Googled it, doesnt exist) So I'm thinking you have a X3 445 before unlocking
give it time and your tmi will cure, hopefully you'll see another couple of degrees dropping off in a week or two,depends how much you use it tbh
Moto
August 2, 2010 8:47:25 PM

what should a target case temperature be?
a c 103 à CPUs
August 3, 2010 6:19:14 AM

Ideally? (Ducks for cover)
I'd say aim for 25-40c idle but be happy unless you idle somewhere in the 50's
your ambient temp will ofc affect possible cooling temps, if you live in a desert your never going to run at low temps without serious consideration to Cooling,
If you live in the arctic circle, we hate you :p 
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 2:16:33 PM

Unlocked, does CPU-Z show an L3 present ? If not, then you have a X3 derived from a C3 Athlon x4 Propus core(3.1 645). If there is an L3 present, then you do have a Phenom derived from a C3 Phenom x4 Deneb core(3.1 945). Either way nice chip, wish I had it.

On the high temps, what do you have the Vcore set to ?

The -128c you see is because ACC is enabled...
August 3, 2010 6:39:58 PM

I didn't know voltage changed with temperture. I thought its just set at 1.325

Yes I have the 6mb of L3

"The -128c you see is because ACC is enabled..."

How does this follow?

I still don't get why mine is running hot. Other users on Newegg are reporting much lower temperatures
a c 103 à CPUs
August 3, 2010 6:50:34 PM

When you unlock cores with Acc, it sends the sensors out for some reason, Download Amd overdrive to see you cores at -259'c :)  then uninstall the worthless P.o.C. :p 
Speedfan does most people alright for temps reading though
as for the voltage thing, if you run an overclock, the thing you are running faster needs more power to do so, so if you oc your processor, it will require more voltage at some point,( like a car,uses x fuel to travel at 30,uses xxx to do it at 60)
or it will just bsod due to lack of power
someone can probably put a more technical slant on that explanation, but thats a simple mans view on it
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 7:03:46 PM

Tyrion said:
I didn't know voltage changed with temperture. I thought its just set at 1.325

Higher voltage means higher temps.

Yes I have the 6mb of L3 said:
Yes I have the 6mb of L3

Then you do have a Phenom

The -128c you see is because ACC is enabled... said:

I miss spoke myself, the -128c is a bum NB redeading I beleive. What I meant to say was the -0 core temps are a result of ACC being enabled, my bad !
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 7:08:24 PM

Tyrion said:

How does this follow?

I still don't get why mine is running hot. Other users on Newegg are reporting much lower temperatures

The reason it is running hot is you have unlocked the fourth core so there is more heat being built up on that triple core CPU - and the stock heatsink is not good enough to remove all of that heat so it builds up. -- If you want it to run cooler than either get a better Heatsink\fan or turn off ACC and go back to using just 3 cores instead of 4 which is what you bought. (unlocking the 4th core is about the same as Overclocking the CPU - it will pull more voltage into the CPU and therefore need better heat dissipation to keep the Temp down. -- Also the Temps will vary depending on the Ambient temp of the room you are in so comparing it to what others report is not realy a good idea since you do not know what the temp of the room they are testing in is.
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 7:24:40 PM

My socket temp increased by about 4-5c when I unlocking my 4th core. Stock HSF should be fine if it's installed correctly and your not going to oc. That based on MY chip,IHS and HSF.
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 7:38:34 PM

green300 said:
My socket temp increased by about 4-5c when I unlocking my 4th core. Stock HSF should be fine if it's installed correctly and your not going to oc. That based on MY chip,IHS and HSF.

Depends on the HS they ship with -- I know my X3 720 ran hot with the stock HS after unlocking the 4th core - even a small OC to 3.2Ghz. had it running in the mid 60s under load on a chip that was undervolted slightly - so at stock voltage or higher speed it would come close to the thermal shutdown temp (72C on the X3 720) - After getting a TX3 cooler the temps now stay in the mid to upper 50s under Prime95 testing on the same CPU. (Note : I'm in El Paso TX with summer temps in the 100's and ambient temps in the room of 80F - 85F ( 27C - 30C)
!