Built new system, now can't get online

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Well, I bought all the pieces new (see below) and assembled them myself correctly (I think), and am trying to update drivers, virus protection, etc. Problem: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Windows Network Diagnostics says "Install a driver for your network adapter. Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

I tried to install the LAN driver by using my wife's laptop to download it from the Asus website, then move it over to my new computer via thumbdrive (that's hows I got the virus software installed already, so the method works). For whatever reason, the computer is not recognizing the files (tried it twice, completely new download and install, still no go). I am now trying to reinstall all of the drivers that came on the CD with the motherboard, but if they are the same ones it came preloaded with ... (shrug). I figure it's worth a try.

What (probably easy and stupid item, since it's my first build) am I missing? I have looked at the stickies, and searched, which is how I got this far ... but now I seem to be stuck. :/

If I left out important details, please let me know. The computer seems to be working (I played a Windows pre-loaded game on it); DVD, USB, video card all seem to be doing what they are supposed to ... just can't figure out where the problem is with the connectivity. Ummm ..... please help?

Thanks in advance!

System:
Asus Crosshair IV Formula AM3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition CPU
XFX Radeon HD 5850 video card
Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s internal hard drive
Asus Black 24x DVD Burner
G.Skill 2x2GB SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) memory
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w power supply
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50 R case

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Havent done alot with Windows 7 yet, but hopefully they still have the add hardware wizard in it, so assuming they do, see if you can get 7 to find your NIC chip that way and get the driver in....I hope this helps!

Dead