Sign in with
Your question

New Midrange Gaming/Work PC

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
May 31, 2010 2:03:20 AM

I've been thinking of getting a new PC for awhile now and have been researching the matter for the last 2 weeks. The whole i5-750 or X4-955BE argument on power vs longevity. I've pretty much settled on the X4 as my processor of choice now I just need some simple answers.

First off is the MoBo, whats the best cost/quality option that gives me room to expand in the future if necessary and with most of the newest tech on it. Keep in mind that I also plan to OC it.

Second, the Ram. I was figuring 1600 DDR3 2x2 Kit, but from what brand and is 1600 the best choice for the setup.

Next off is the GPU, I was planning on a single ATI 5770 1GB atm, but will Crossfire it within the next year. Is there any brand preference between the cards or a better choice entirely.

Lastly the case, my old case is a just too cramped with my current config, so with a new one, and Crossfire down the road, its gotta go. I was looking into the 300 Series Antecs, but it doesnt have a frontside eSata, and the CM Scout is just ugly with those red LEDs. Any other options?

For the PSU, I still have my trusty 750W Thermaltake so thats a pass.

For the HD, I still have my 640GB Caviar Black so thats a pass. I was thinking though, down the road to get a single platter Raptor or should I just wait for SS drives.

TIA for the help.

More about : midrange gaming work

May 31, 2010 9:24:05 AM

If budget willing i'd rather hit that x4 with something like a
Gigabyte 870A-UD3 or
MSI 870A-G54
and try to hit just the one HD 5850 and stick to single GPU solutions down the road ^^
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
May 31, 2010 8:20:12 PM

Nice case, I like that.

Quick question though on the Ram though and to OC it in general. What Ram config is the most stable when overclocking? And is there a nice OC guide, I'm at work atm and don't really got the time to look around. Thx.
m
l
May 31, 2010 9:14:22 PM

This article explains the terminology that motherboard manufacturers use in their BIOS and what it will mean to the overclocking user. It's something of a pain, but it will help you understand what your BIOS is referring to when you bump one voltage or another.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-Al...

Your motherboard may automatically set the voltage and timings of your RAM say 1.5v 1333 9-9-9-24. It will be up to you to adjust the voltage, speed and timings from your BIOS and to what the RAM manufacturer says.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^ just an example
m
l
Anonymous
June 1, 2010 1:42:11 AM

Hmm thanks, am still a little confused on which Cas(x) ram to get (7,8 or 9), but I've decided on the Gskill Ripjaws. The voltage and timing is somewhat of a grey area too, but i'll tackle that once I get the parts and tinker. But I've been reading on the cooling, which is tantamount to a stable system.
So far I'm looking at:

Gigabyte 870A-UD3 with the x4 965BE (took a step up on the chip for $20)
GSkill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600 (just gotta figure out the Cas)
Coolermaster 690 KKN1-GP
XFX 5850 1GB

Now I just gotta figure out the cooler. Does anyone have a similar system, who can recommend a good HSF that would physically fit in this setup? I heard some of the better ones are large and cumbersome.
m
l
!