Ports vanished from Device Manager

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I first noticed the problem when all of a sudden the Palm Pilot would not
sink. Went into the Device Manager and the whole Ports section is missing. I
installed a Lexmark printer and the software recently but this has worked in
the past on the same machine - XP Home. BIOS does not have anything about the
ports.
Hot Synch manager complains that COM1 is not available...
Is there a way to get the ports back? I went to Dell and tried to reinstall
the drivers but to no avail. Not much in the registry on the topic - pretty
much matches my other XP machine (PRO) which has the Ports listed. Windows
updates are all in.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be great.

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I first noticed the problem when all of a sudden the Palm Pilot would not
>sink. Went into the Device Manager and the whole Ports section is missing. I
>installed a Lexmark printer and the software recently but this has worked in
>the past on the same machine - XP Home. BIOS does not have anything about the
>ports.

See "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084).

--
(tm)

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I first noticed the problem when all of a sudden the Palm Pilot would not
> >sink. Went into the Device Manager and the whole Ports section is missing. I
> >installed a Lexmark printer and the software recently but this has worked in
> >the past on the same machine - XP Home. BIOS does not have anything about the
> >ports.
>
> See "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
> Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084).
>
> --
> (tm)

Thank you for your post, Thorsten. I tried restoring and it did not work.

I will just reinstall Windows.

Thanks again,
Jack

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your post, Thorsten. I tried restoring and it did not work.
>I will just reinstall Windows.

Do so. See "How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341). for details.

--
(tm)