Solved

AMD Thuban Black Edition 1090T and Asus Formula IV Turbo Unlocker

Hey guys,

It has been a few years since I've messed with the PC world and just recently threw together a new computer.

I had a few questions regarding the two Turbo features provided by AMD and ASUS. I searched the net on what they did and was wondering would you/do you run these two features at the same time?

I looked for the answer on the net but didnt find any answers. People say the Asus feature performs better than the AMD one but doesnt say how do you run them. Is the AMD one automatic or do you set it up in your BIOS? If so, would you run it along with the Asus one?

This question here is more along the lines of motherboards but the ASUS Formula IV has a button called Core Unlocker which tries to unlock hidden cores. Since I am running on the 1090T, all its cores are already unlocked. I reckon, I should keep this feature on the motherboard turned off since turning it on wouldnt do me any good.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thuban black edition 1090t asus formula turbo unlocker
  1. ghowthoo said:

    I had a few questions regarding the two Turbo features provided by AMD and ASUS. I searched the net on what they did and was wondering would you/do you run these two features at the same time?

    I looked for the answer on the net but didnt find any answers. People say the Asus feature performs better than the AMD one but doesnt say how do you run them. Is the AMD one automatic or do you set it up in your BIOS? If so, would you run it along with the Asus one?


    lol :lol:
    i know ASUS and AMD both have "Turbo" in their product name, but they are not complimentary product, but supplementary. meaning to get a PC up and running you need to have both AMD CPU or ASUS mobo product. (u sentence make it sound like ur trying to decide which one to chose :p)

    AMD refers Turbo to the fact that their latest CPU can OC on demand on itself. ASUS refers to Turbo as a self developed tool that OC a CPU/GPU forcefully. they are not the same thing......

    md has option in bios AMD turbo turn on off, i donot if it is on by default
    asus turbo is either a switch in Motherboard, or a software.

    Asus feature may be more effective, (i havent tested it yet on my PC), but its not the same thing. asus actually overclocks, meaning it will increase heat and power consumption, and all the other side effects of OCing.
    AMD turbo is only activated after shutting off unused parts, thereby sticking to standard heat\TDP.

    u cant have AMD Turbo in any cpu xcept for X6 and X4 960T (i think).
    u can enable ASUS Turbo on any AMD CPU
    Quote:
    This question here is more along the lines of motherboards but the ASUS Formula IV has a button called Core Unlocker which tries to unlock hidden cores. Since I am running on the 1090T, all its cores are already unlocked. I reckon, I should keep this feature on the motherboard turned off since turning it on wouldnt do me any good.


    u already have 6 cores, so how can u unlock cores if they dont even exist. :p
    u can leav them off
  2. Hello ghowthoo;
    You're right. Your 1090T has no hidden cores to unlock.
    You won't be needing to use that feature of your motherboard.

    That other turbo option should interest you.
    Turbo Key II for Easy O.C. - Level up system performance with one button.
    A safe and easy way to coax a bit of extra performance out of those six cores on your 1090T.
    Until you feel comfortable with manual overclocking the Easy OC will let you get started without any more effort than pressing that button.
  3. Your motherboards Turbo Unlocker feature uses the AMD Turbo Core tweaking options mentioned in the link above to try and maximize performance for you, without you having to work through AMD's Turbo Core utility program.
  4. ghowthoo said:
    I searched the net on what they did and was wondering would you/do you run these two features at the same time?

    I looked for the answer on the net but didnt find any answers. People say the Asus feature performs better than the AMD one but doesnt say how do you run them. Is the AMD one automatic or do you set it up in your BIOS? If so, would you run it along with the Asus one?



    As far as can be determined about what is available from ASUS you don't run both features at the same time, you use either the built in AMD dynamic overclocking OR you allow the ASUS motherboard to dynamically overclock.

    See: http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/4/19/asus-improves-on-amd-turbo-core

    So in other words the ASUS "Turbo Unlocker" is basically almost exactly the same as the dynamic overclocking that AMD provides, but it is supposed to actually provide more "adventurous" results and also work with ANY black edition processor and not just the newer X6 chips.

    A HUMOROUS NOTE: When AMD added their version of dynamic overclocking many Intel enthusiasts went from the opinion that it was perfectly acceptable to use this type of feature in comparative benchmarks to the opinion that only clock per clock comparisons should now be acceptable. They generally discount results created using the base clocks of different brand chips that sell in the same price range.
  5. Thank you all for the informative information as well as links. Is it safe to assume that with a decent/good cooling system, I should run the below:


    - Use the ASUS Turbo Unlocker feature rather then the AMD Turbo Core feature. Is the AMD Turbo Core feature enabled by default or disabled? If it is enabled, do I have to disable it before using the ASUS Turbo Unlocker i.e. go to the BIOS and disable?

    - Do not use the ASUS Core Unlocker feature on my 1090T since there is no hidden cores to unlock.

    Thank you all for answering my newbie questions :D
  6. Best answer
    AMD Turbo Core is on by default and does not need to be disabled to use Asus Turbo Unlocker.
    Asus Turbo Unlocker is safe to use what ever cooling system you have as it works within the thermal envelope of the CPU. It works by speeding up a limited number of cores.

    Turbo Key II for Easy O.C. is your best option for better overall performance. It works with all six cores equally. It will monitor the temps and adjust itself within the cooling abilities of whatever cooling option you're using.
    As explained @ FiringSquad review article: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_phenom_2_x6_1090t_performance/page3.asp

    I would suggest using one or the other, not both. There is no reason you can't test each of them out though.

    Correct, don't use Core Unlocker.
  7. Best answer selected by ghowthoo.
  8. WR2 said:
    AMD Turbo Core is on by default and does not need to be disabled to use Asus Turbo Unlocker.
    Asus Turbo Unlocker is safe to use what ever cooling system you have as it works within the thermal envelope of the CPU. It works by speeding up a limited number of cores.

    Turbo Key II for Easy O.C. is your best option for better overall performance. It works with all six cores equally. It will monitor the temps and adjust itself within the cooling abilities of whatever cooling option you're using.
    As explained @ FiringSquad review article: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_phenom_2_x6_1090t_performance/page3.asp

    I would suggest using one or the other, not both. There is no reason you can't test each of them out though.

    Correct, don't use Core Unlocker.


    Thank you all for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Asus AMD Product