Sign in with
Your question

Silverstone FT02B-W - H50 Cooler? Noctua? PSU?

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2010 2:41:42 AM

BUILD INFO
CPU: i7 930
Board: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ)
GPU: Sapphire 5870 1GB VAPOR X
CASE: Silverstone FT02-B
PSU: ?
CPU Cooler: ?

So the FT02 obviously isn't your typical case, which is why i like it. I was previously going to go with a Cooler Master 212 Plus, but the price went up 20 dollars everywhere, making it 40.00 - The H50 is on sale right now on bestbuy's site for 59.99 w/ 10% back from Bing making it around 53 dollars or 60 shipped. I spent a long time looking on google to find out how the h50 performs in the ft02 and the posts are just terribly vague and indecisive. Ive been looking at a few Noctua coolers as well and im unsure as to what im going to do.
Looking to overclock to 4.0+ ill be happy with 4.0

As far as the PSU goes, like i said above i do plan to overclock and run at least 4 SATA hard drives, 1 Sata DVD-RW and 1 SATA Bluray.
What size do i need and can u recommend a 100% modular PSU - detachable 24 pin

here is what im considering....

SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SILVERSTONE DA750 750W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC

do i even need 750? im reading people are running a lot more components than i am and two 5870s in crossfire with max load @ around 330W

any advice outside of what i am thinking about purchasing works great too. THANKS!!!!
May 31, 2010 3:11:50 AM

What is your budget for your cooler? I wouldn't go with the H50, as to me it doesn't provide good enough cooling over the higherend air coolers. I would go with the Pro Megalehams (sorry for the bad spelling :)  ) or Thermalright Venomous X as the top air coolers. You can get the CoGaGe Arrow, as another great cooler for the price or even the CoGaGe TRUE Spirit, as the budget alternative.

I would go with the Corsair CMPSU-750HX for PSU, which does have plenty of power for your system.
m
l
May 31, 2010 3:26:15 AM

i dont care about money for the cooler, its a matter of it being a bigger diff or not, if i can reach 4.0 or a little better with safe temps then thats as much as i wana spend, if i can have it running ice cold at the same speed at a few less degrees, i see no point in spending extra coin.

y did u choose the corsair?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 31, 2010 3:43:57 AM

I would go with either of the coolers I've listed to get the best results for a 4.0GHz overclock. They are pretty much the two best on the market.

I choose the Corsair because to me it is the better PSU but just noticed it was out of stock. The review on Silverstone looks good, as well :)  so you'll be safe with the top one.
m
l
May 31, 2010 3:52:49 AM

I would agree with tecmo34 on his recommendations and there are other high performing heatsinks. Take a look at his link for some reviews

http://www.frostytech.com/

Also you could drop to a 650 watt PSU and still be fine if you really need to save the money.
m
l
May 31, 2010 4:42:22 AM

I feel like a push pull config would be best for the case- just seems like pulling air from the bottom and blowing towards the the top (exhaust). would be the best config, that being said, is the nh-d14 seems to be cheaper than the rest of i went push pull because of the cost of the extra fan i would need to buy for those set ups, if its close to the same ammount, is the noctua better?
m
l
May 31, 2010 10:42:37 AM

The Notuca heat sink is very nice and performs good. If that is the heat sink you want, I have no issues with you going with that one. :) 
m
l
May 31, 2010 12:17:36 PM

For me the H50 is great. I just did a rebuild in march and IMO I think heatsinks are too damn big and just keep getting bigger. I was going for a nice clean look and I think they are an eyesore. I went with the H50 and got it in a push/pull. The look is very clean in my case. I have it cooling an i7 860 clocked up to 4.0 and my temps reach 76 in prime95 with hyperthread on. Now temps will never reach that high playing games or anything else so its fine for me. Games I get up to 54. I think thats damn good with hyperthread on. The I7 is a really hot chip also. People cheat and turn hyperthread off because it lowers temps about 10 to 15 deg c but if you were gonna do that why didnt you go with an I5. I could never acheive that high of an overclock on the coolers that were mentioned with temps I was ok with and I just got tired of looking in my case and the only thing I see is this big ass metal thing with a big ass fan on it.

It works for me but may not for you but there is nothing wrong with the H50. Ive tried and owned the ones mentioned here. The H50 in push/pull works great for me. Im not saying its the best but for the look and performance, its the best for me.
m
l
May 31, 2010 6:04:55 PM

I ended up ordering the h50, all of those other coolers were going to cost nearly twice as much as the h50 after i added a second fan in push pull.
I also was able to actually find someone who uses the h50 on the bottom of the ft02 and they used the included radiator mounts and put h50 on top of the 180mm fan, and then the included corsair fan on top of the h50 radiator.

I think im either going to mod the h50 and change the tubing to white - which i think will void the warranty, which i dont want to do, or just cover the tubes with white heatshrink tubing.

i almost ordered the 650watt HX last night but i think im going to just wait till a silverstone or seasonic or corsair goes on sale.
m
l
!