Need Help on a Comp Build

sbjluke

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Hey guys, I want to make a nice computer that will play any game that is out today and for the next 2 or 3 years well. I'm the kind of guy who gets a new computer about every 5 years and my last one just died. I've decided to go with a computer that I can upgrade as it gets older, so I can keep it for longer.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a build for me?

I would like Intell i7, because I want to use this computer for gaming and other stuff like Movie editing and such.

Ive always preferred more RAM so 6 gbs would be nice.

I want a MoBo that leaves room for expansion.

I dont care about bluray drives or anything.

nice graphics are necessary.

I dont know much about Overclocking, so you'll have to be the judge of that. But keep in mind I want to keep this comp for a long time.

And my budget is between 1100 and 1200.

I can build it myself, and I think I'd rather that, but if its cheaper on cyperpowerpc.com that'd be fine

Thanks in advance!

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Well you should go for a socket 1366 motherboard (I would get a gigabyte one), and an i7 930 CPU. 6Gb of tri-channel 1600mhz RAM (PC12800) will give great performance, and headroom for overclocking the CPU. The 1366 motherboard is great because they all have 2x PCIexpress slots or more for multiple graphics cards. And you get the full 16x speed on each slot.
The GTX 460 is a very good VFM graphics card at the moment, with very good SLI scaling, so you could buy one now, and then buy another one a few months down the line and would get a nice boost in performance. You should be able to get the i7 930 CPU up to 4Ghz quite easily with a Gigabyte board.

I dont know if you would want a new case and optical drive, if your old ones are still functioning, but and reasonable Mid-Tower chassis should be fine.

A good PSU is also important. OCZ seem to bee cheap at the moment, but you would need atleast 700watts of you were gonna go with them.
Personally I would get a good Corsair or Antec PSU, and be looking at atleast 750 watts or as much as you can afford really, as this will allow you to overclock in the future, both your CPUs and GPUs.

A decent Heat Sink will be needed if you want to got for a big overclock. Make sure you get a case which is wide enough if you intend to go for an Air Cooler (Heat sink Fan). There are also some nice water-coolers out there which fit entirely inside a case, but I personally would go for an air cooler. Im using a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler, but there are a lot out there to choose from.