Whats your opinion? The worlds first 80 Plus Platinum power supply

shovenose

Distinguished
ewww gross fsp. but did they do it on purpose or did it just turn out that efficient? and does high effienciency mean good quALITY?

(am typing on a friends mac so please excuse the typing this thinghas a terrrrible keybroad

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I dunno, kinda jealous as I recently bit the bullet (as I wanted to wait for a platinum PSU) and now I have an overpriced whiny seasonic x650 PSU.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

I would return it, but the cost of the restock fee and shipping would set me back $30+ or so, so I'm gonna try to RMA it. It has the coil whine issue that some of the X750 PSUs have. Basically I'll be writing a report in Word (only occurs in low load conditions) and the whole time you hear EEEEEEEEEEEE...really annoying unless there's another noise to drown it out.

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Get a coolermaster cheap'o 120mm (or even 80mm) so-called-silent case fan, and plug it straight into the PSU;it will drown out the noise, as well as the sound of your own thoughts :)

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Ha! Don't laugh! I've done it, well not exactly but I remove the underclock from my GPU (XFX 4870 1GB) when writing to "assist the issue", although it doesn't fully go away. But ya prime95 makes it go away about 99%percent. Well, as far as I'm concerned I have a $135 paper weight. No response from Seasonic via email yet, of the 3 accounts I sent on, 2 were blocked, only the comcast made it through. And I think that was last Friday or Wednesday morning...so looks like a phone call will have to do now.

well about this

1) it is not the first 80 plus platinum (should really just be called 90 plus at this point), but it is the first 80p Platinum 115V internal PSU (as 230V has had them for a while)
2) it might actually only be gold since 80 plus only uses 25C tests where when testers (like jonnyguru) will test it over 40C and it might drop a level
3) i want to see a competent reviewer test this out