Sign in with
Your question

WEI of 6.7, any good for an SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 19, 2012 5:48:53 PM

I currently have a OCZ Petrol 60GB SSD and a Hitachi 320GB HDD (7200rpm). My boot time is 18 seconds and my WEI score is 6.7 I was expecting better? Is something wrong or an I just optimistic?

More about : wei good ssd

July 19, 2012 6:02:37 PM

Its really just that WEI is not a good way to rate any system. Don't trust MS to tell you how could your machine is. its just a bad idea. If it runs well and you don't have any problems with it, who cares!
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 6:06:09 PM

18 second boot time is quite fast, my desktop boots up at around 25-30 seconds.

Also your speed depends on how much your SSD is "filled up". If you have less than 10% space left, most likely it will slow down.
Related resources
July 19, 2012 6:33:34 PM

eggbrook said:
Its really just that WEI is not a good way to rate any system. Don't trust MS to tell you how could your machine is. its just a bad idea. If it runs well and you don't have any problems with it, who cares!

Good point, thanks. :) 
July 19, 2012 6:34:39 PM

Chainzsaw said:
18 second boot time is quite fast, my desktop boots up at around 25-30 seconds.

Also your speed depends on how much your SSD is "filled up". If you have less than 10% space left, most likely it will slow down.

I have 9.33GB of 59.7GB free, so I suppose it is pretty full
a c 353 G Storage
July 19, 2012 10:42:21 PM

Your WEI score is probably close to correct, as your drive is pretty full. Most Sata III SSD will score 7.2 -> 7.9. Low end one's such as the petrol and ones using Asyn NAND are normally around the 7.2 -> 7.6 while the ones using Syncr and toggle NAND will be from 7.5 -> 7.9.

Surprised your Formated size is 59.7 Gigs, as most 60 Gig SSDs Format out to around 56 Gigs. Same as HDDs Manuf use decimal count and computer uses power of 2's. Then you should leave a Min of 10 % free (preferably 15%) so that wear leveling, CG and trim can work their magic.

Hopefully you have already done:
1) Disable Hibernation - Save SSD space equal to your Ram
2) Either (A) Set the Page file Min and max to the same value (recommend 1024 mb). this will save about 11 gigs for an 8 Gig Ram system (5 gigs if only 4 gigs of memory). OR (B) shifted the Page file to the HDD - added savings of 1024 mb.
3) Eithe (A) disabled Restore Points or (B) LIMITED amount of space. Just 10 restore points will occupy 3 Gigs.
July 20, 2012 6:53:15 AM

RetiredChief said:
Your WEI score is probably close to correct, as your drive is pretty full. Most Sata III SSD will score 7.2 -> 7.9. Low end one's such as the petrol and ones using Asyn NAND are normally around the 7.2 -> 7.6 while the ones using Syncr and toggle NAND will be from 7.5 -> 7.9.

Surprised your Formated size is 59.7 Gigs, as most 60 Gig SSDs Format out to around 56 Gigs. Same as HDDs Manuf use decimal count and computer uses power of 2's. Then you should leave a Min of 10 % free (preferably 15%) so that wear leveling, CG and trim can work their magic.

Hopefully you have already done:
1) Disable Hibernation - Save SSD space equal to your Ram
2) Either (A) Set the Page file Min and max to the same value (recommend 1024 mb). this will save about 11 gigs for an 8 Gig Ram system (5 gigs if only 4 gigs of memory). OR (B) shifted the Page file to the HDD - added savings of 1024 mb.
3) Eithe (A) disabled Restore Points or (B) LIMITED amount of space. Just 10 restore points will occupy 3 Gigs.

I hadn't disabled hibernation, it freed up about 6 gigs, thanks for that
July 20, 2012 6:54:23 AM

Quote:
also verify AHCI mode..

I've heard of this but what is it and how to I verify it?
a c 353 G Storage
July 20, 2012 1:11:05 PM

Probably do have ahci select - BUT GOOD idea to verify. Reason is that with pcide driver, I think that your WEI would be closer to 5.9.

NOTE: If by chance it is set to ide- DO NOT Change as you will not be able to boot to windows. Follow this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

I like to run AS SSD to verify SSD installation. You can download it and open it (DON'T need to run the benchmark). Just look at upper left and it will show you:
.. Firmware version.
.. Driver (and if pcide will also show"BAD")
.. And if partitions are aligned correctly.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_asssdbenchmark/
July 20, 2012 2:05:09 PM

i have built quite a few with ssd's and 6.7 is bad i have only seen one that was not 7.9 for the hdd.
is it sata 3.0?
July 20, 2012 3:53:13 PM

the great randini said:
i have built quite a few with ssd's and 6.7 is bad i have only seen one that was not 7.9 for the hdd.
is it sata 3.0?

HDD is SATA 2
July 20, 2012 4:18:16 PM

RetiredChief said:
Probably do have ahci select - BUT GOOD idea to verify. Reason is that with pcide driver, I think that your WEI would be closer to 5.9.

NOTE: If by chance it is set to ide- DO NOT Change as you will not be able to boot to windows. Follow this:

I like to run AS SSD to verify SSD installation. You can download it and open it (DON'T need to run the benchmark). Just look at upper left and it will show you:
.. Firmware version.
.. Driver (and if pcide will also show"BAD")
.. And if partitions are aligned correctly.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_asssdbenchmark/

It is set to IDE, is there any way I can change it and Windows still work?
a c 353 G Storage
July 20, 2012 4:53:34 PM

^ DO NOT first change in BIOS - Windows will not load!!

Two methods:
1) let microsoft Fix it, or
2) You manually do it by editing the registry

Basically you (or microsoft) edit the Rgistry to change driver. NOTE YOU MUST do this before changing the Bios. After the registry edit, you reboot and go straight to Bios and then change ide to ahci.

In the below link, scroll down and you will find "Fix it for Me" or alittle farther down instructions For "let me fix it"

a c 353 G Storage
July 20, 2012 5:17:20 PM

^ Reverse Engineer, ie change registry from ahci -> ide (Change 0 -> 3 ) then reboot and change Bios to ahci - BUT why would you do this.
July 22, 2012 2:06:40 PM

Ok, so I managed to edit the registry and got it to run in AHCI mode but my WEI only increased by 0.1! Is there something else wrong?
a c 190 G Storage
July 22, 2012 2:37:28 PM

in the end though, the WEI = BS..

Plus 1 ^
a c 353 G Storage
July 22, 2012 3:54:28 PM

While I agree the WEI is BS as a benchmark, it does seem to Identify problems. That is if a HDD get's a score that is low 4s and should be in the 5.8/9 then something is most likely amiss, same with an SSD if it normally scores in the mid to upper 7s and is only hitting low to mid 6s then something is not correct. Will also indicat ram problems if score is low, it could be do to ram running single channel vs daul channel.

The way I precieve WEI is not as a benchmark, but more as a troubleshooting aid.

As to OP - Yes it is time to do a "Secure erease (restore to factory specs) and reinstall windows AND leave room for CG, wear Leaving and TRIM do KEEP the drive upto snuff.
July 22, 2012 5:46:40 PM

Your right about WEI, after changing some settings my boot time is down to 14 seconds and everything is fast. That's good enough for me!

Thanks for all the help guys, although my WEI has barely changed the speed of my SSD has and that's all I wanted!
a c 190 G Storage
July 22, 2012 5:48:09 PM

WEI = $$$$$$$ Hardware sales

Glad to hear the tweaks are working!

Ignore WEI read your own machine.
July 22, 2012 5:49:24 PM

Your right about WEI, after changing some settings my boot time is down to 14 seconds and everything is fast. That's good enough for me!

Thanks for all the help guys, although my WEI has barely changed the speed of my SSD has and that's all I wanted!
a c 190 G Storage
July 22, 2012 5:51:36 PM

Excellent work ^
!