System crashes anytime a GPU is installed

oatmeal_1

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I have a BioStar TA790GX 128m 5.x motherboard with a Phenom X4 9850 CPU, 4GB of RAM and a 550W PSU.

The system crashes routinely whenever I install a GPU. It'll crash quickly when playing games but it'll also crash if I just boot the machine and leave it at the CTRL-ALT-DEL login screen.

I have tried installing both an ATI 5500 and an nVidia 9600. I have tried multiple versions of the Catalyst drivers and the latest nVidia drivers. The crashes occur on WinXP SP3 x86 as well as Win7 Enterprise x64. I don't think this is a software or driver issue. The crashes seem to occur more frequently with the ATI card than the nVidia but that's just speculation as I haven't really paid that much attention to the timing.

I have tried with and without the onboard video enabled but otherwise the BIOS settings are at the default settings.

Does anybody have suggestions as to what I could look at or change to fix this issue? Am I stuck with the integrated video? :cry:

With no peripheral GPU installed this machine has been rock solid and never given me any problems.

Thank you,