Sign in with
Your question

New build, odd issues

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2010 5:28:22 AM

Taken from another post. Sorry if that is against the rules, but i'm just stuck and not sure what to do.
"
Hi guys,

This is my new build here, first build actually.

ASUS M4A87TD Evo AM3 DDR3 ATX AMD 870 SB850 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 3PCI 6SATA 6GB/S USB3.0 Motherboard

Sapphire 5830

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600

Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM (came in a clear packaging with a small manual. Nothing else)

AMD Phenom X3 720 (4th core successfully unlocked by Asus core unlocker)

Asus DVD-RW

I have put everything together but i cannot get the HDD detected. I have RMA'd two drives already and i still can't get the drive to work. Here is a weird thing though, I bought a 250gb seagate 7200.12 drive to test and that was detected just fine. I would really be surprised if all 3 samsung drives were defective. Another odd thing is the noise coming from the drive. When i have the drive connected to my powersupply it spins up just fine but it makes a little bit of noise. However, if the SATA cable is connected it spins up and then gets stuck repeatedly and clicks multiple times and then shuts down.

I have no idea what to do now and am planning on RMAing the drive a 3rd time. Here are the things i've already tried doing.

- Try various SATA inputs (my board only has 6gb/s inputs) and power cables.
- played with the SATA configurations in the BIOS and played around with the boot order.
- tried to mimic the setting just as the auto-detect did for the Seagate drive
- Tried finding the drive in windows 7 setup

Sadly i don't have another system to test the drive on and i'm running fresh out of ideas.

Thanks!

Message edited by makkamaj on 05-31-2010 at 12:27:38 AM
"

More about : build odd issues

May 31, 2010 6:10:17 AM

Hello, I'm no expert or anything but I think the drive is damaged, the same thing happened to me years ago, when my old drive fell by accident or my clumsiness... anyway the tech told me either the drive head or the arm is hitting the platter or something like that. if all the drive was delivered the same time I'd say it was mishandled. if you bought it from a store you can bring it back to them and have it tested in front of you, good luck
May 31, 2010 7:59:31 AM

Thanks. i will be getting the drive RMA'd tomorrow. Any idea's on what to change it for? the capacity wasn't the reason i chose this drive, so a 640 drive would also work. I'm leaning towards the WD Caviar blue/black.

Also, is it possible that it's damaged even though the clicking only happens when the SATA wires are connected? It works (still a bit of noisy, but no stuttering) and spins up when only connected to a PSU.

Thanks for the help!
Related resources
May 31, 2010 9:03:35 AM

You need to format the drive in order to see it in My Comupter.

Go in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management and you should see your new HDD in there. Right click on it (make sure you don't select some other HDD) and format it NTFS.
May 31, 2010 5:06:36 PM

I do not have a OS installed yet. This is a new build.
May 31, 2010 5:32:30 PM

The you format the drive with the OS CD.
May 31, 2010 7:20:09 PM

...i'm not sure if you read my post right or if i'm not getting what you're saying.

My drive is not detected by the bios or the OS CD.
!