Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am trying to upgrade my psu to run my incoming processor and second 6870. Here are the specs of my build after the upgrades (w/o a psu):

AMD phenom II x6 1090t
4 gig corsair 1600 ddr3
MSI 890gxm-g65
Hitachi 1 tb hd 7200rpm
dell 22" lcd 1920X1200
6 120 mm case fans
CM hyper 212+
Thermaltake v3
Diamond 6870 x2
Lite-on DVD drive

also what are peoples opinion on crossfire in my current setup being that the pci-express slots are right next to each other, it is a micro atx mobo. the fact that it runs at 8X8 is not my concern but rather the heat issue and having a psu that will meet my needs for the entire system. I don't mind using a couple molex to 6 pin adapters to accomplish this bc it seems like only the real high end psu have 4 6 pins, anyhow which psu would you reccomend in this situation? Is the corsair tx 650 enough to run crossfire 6870s and an x6? what is the logical choice?

Solution
on the eXtreme psu calculator it says that I need 642 watts reccomended at 100% load, and obviously enough amps on a 12v rail for crossfire. I am leaning towards the corsair 650tx but am wandering if that will be enough, is there something better someone can reccomend in a similar price range?

Solution

geeky cat lady

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Maybe I should just forget it altogether. At a minimum, I would like to run a standard vga monitor as well as the hd tv that is now showing hulu pretty well already with a 25' rgb-pc cord - all zip tied nice and tidy. I just don't like craning my neck to see what is going on - on the tv screen. We already made room for the old computer monitor next to the ol' computer set-up. And there it sits doin nuthun :heink: We did just order a vga splitter, and that'll pretty much take care of the problem. But for some reason, I think that having the hdmi and better graphics processor would be a nice capability to have. Maybe my husband would enjoy some gaming :whistle: Or maybe I'm lucky he is not into gaming - and smarter to keep him from wanting to do that :hello:

That said, what is a good psu to put into a dell inspiron 530s so we can zoom up the graphics?

huh? wrong post, sounds like a miserable setup

I decided to go with the XFX thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.