Does this build work?

dvtran93

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I'm building a new PC to upgrade from my Q6600 2.4gHz Quad. I am planning to use the following components, but I want to make sure they are compatible (size wise).

CPU: i7 930 (LGA 1366)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 (mostly worried about whether t
Mobo: Asus P6X58D-E
RAM: 6gb (3 * 2gb) DDR3 1600mHz Corsair XMS3 (compatible with cooler, I checked)
HDD: 1tb Caviar Black + 120gb Corsair Reactor Series SSD
Video: XFX Radeon 5870 1Gb * 2
PSU: 1200w Antec Quattro
Sound: Auzentech Forte Soundcard
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 / Cooler Master Sniper Storm

I've checked spec-wise compatibility, but I haven't checked whether all of these will exactly fit. I know most of these will fit, but I'm mostly worried about using side-fans on the case and if it will come into contact with the Noctua NH-D14. My second issue is whether the Noctua NH-D14 will conflict with the Auzentech Forte soundcard (below the CPU socket). Also, which case should I get out of the CM Haf 922 or the CM Sniper Storm (both will be used with side fans).

May be you can start by not purchasing the audio card at first and use the onboard audio to decide if you need the sound card.. In case you just can't do so, them Don't keep the sound card near the cpu.. It'll work nicely on any pci express slot as well.. Meanwhile the side fan is of no significant advantage.. I'll recommend the sniper coz its a more neater look, more features and more spacious as compared to the haf 922.. More money also but i think its all worth it..