Adding graphics card to graphics card already integrated motherboard

brazillianguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hello,
SOrry if this is a noob question, but i'm trying to do my first build with a computer and i can't seem to find an answer to this question. If I'm choosing the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, it comes with the onboard video chipset ATI Radeon HD 4290. My question is.. IS it possible to place another graphics card on the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (say ATI Radeon HD 5870...)? Would this be possible and would this make any difference in gaming? Also since one graphics card is integrated and the other is an actual card is that considered crossfire and how would you do it? (again sorry if this is noob.. i'm just learning...) Thanks in advance for any light being shed on this...

Yes to: 'another graphics card on the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot' Very easy to do. Choice of card depends on your budget, the games you want to play and the resolution of your monitor
Yes to: 'would this make any difference in gaming' Potentially a HUGE difference depending on the model of video card added.
No to: 'is that considered crossfire'

brazillianguy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for for responding WR2. I heard (or read or maybe even dreamt haha) that it had to be of the same series...(i.e. a Radeon 4290 would have to be paired with another graphics card of the same series... and if another higher graphics card was put on the system ... the system would be as fast as the slowest card) is that right?? thanks....

From page 2 of that review
AMD's Dual Graphics technology is meant to fix this by allowing you to pair the AMD 890GX's Radeon HD 4290 IGP with discrete videocards that have faster-clocked Radeon 5-series GPUs. When pairing an AMD 890GX motherboard with a Radeon HD 5450 graphics card, scores in DirectX 10 games saw a ~25% improvement in Dual Graphics mode.