Radeon HD5670 problems

CorsairFreak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hi everybody,

I just received my HIS Radeon HD 5670 earlier today and I've spent the last 6 hours attempting to get this thing to work with my PC. First, a little info; My PC:

HP M7350N
Intel Celeron D @ 2.8GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
NVIDIA 6200SE w/Turbocache
2GB Memory
250GB Harddrive
650W PowerKing PSU

Now, I know I'm trying to install a PCI-E 2.1 x16 video card into a PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot but from what I understand it should work. My motherboard has the latest bios and the majority of my drivers are all up to date. On my first attempt to install the new HD5670 I uninstalled the NVIDIA 6200SE drivers, turned my PC off, removed the 6200SE, and installed the new HD5670 which does not need an additional power connector. I hooked everything up, turned the PC on and... My monitor went into standby mode.

Then I re-installed the 6200SE and used Guru3D's "Driver Sweeper" program to remove the remnants of the NVIDIA driver, reinstalled the HD5670 turned the PC on and... My monitor went into standy mode. Since then I have done everything I can think of to get this card running:

Installed latest Catalyst drivers; Didn't work, uninstalled them.
Installed Catalyst drivers off of the CD; Didn't work, uninstalled them.
Hooked an HDMI monitor up to the HD5670 thinking the VGA port was faulty; Didn't work.

What in the world am I doing wrong here? Should I RMA the card and hope it's a dud? The card's fan is spinning so I don't think it's completely dead. But, I have no idea what to do from here.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
had the same problem here with an xfx 5670 and an hp pavillion a1355c my computer would not boot up. I didnt find a fix but it didnt matter much because i was going to get rid of that computer anyway. the only solution is that either get a new comp. or get a new card with pci-e 2.0 like ct1615 said. I had a xfx 4670 on my hp before the 5670 and it worked fine. so if your willing to donwgrade a bit you can try that.

CorsairFreak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for the response guys,

I went ahead and sent the card back to Newegg for a refund which sucks because I spent $83 on the card and it took $22 to get it back to Newegg (Shipping + Restocking fee).

I definitely don't have the money to buy or build a new computer yet, I would like to in the future but I'll probably wait until PCI-E 3.0 comes out and the price of PCI-E 3.0 cards isn't outrageous. Until then, I'm looking at getting an NVIDIA 9800GT, pending if my PowerSupply can handle it, it costs a little more than the 5670 did on sale, but it has free shipping.