RAM Disk - any working x64 formatting scripts?

Sanca

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Inspired by a Tom's Hardware article (Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?) I decided to expand my RAM size to 12GB and setup a 4GB RAM Disk out of it, in order to lenghten the life of my SSD and also to fasten my system by putting the swap file, temp files and firefox cache on the RAM Disk.

Motherboard: P7P55D-E PRO
RAM: KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX and KHX1600C9AD3B1K2/4G
System: Windows 7 x64 enterprise

Ive set up a 4GB RAM Disk with SuperSpeed RamDisk Plus 10 x64 desktop, but then Ive realised that there is no option for it to autoformat the RAM Disk into NTFS file system(nor any other) while booting.

With no autoformat option, I need to disable the swap file on the RAM Disk at Windows shutdown(so at startup it doesnt whine about not being able to create the swap file on the given location, and it creates a swap file of 12GB size on my SSD :S), also after Windows startup, I have to format the RAM Disk into NTFS file system, because its unformatted after booting, place the swap file there, etc - this is simply too much work for me for 1 boot.

I also tried Dataram RAMDisk - this hasn't had any autoformat option either, and
Gavotte ramdisk - this hasn't even started when I clicked create RamDisk - due to x64 incompatibility as I found out after some research.

So my question is: is there any way or workaround to make the system format the Ram Disk into NTFS file system while booting? E.g. with some kind of script, or something similar. If there is, some details would be nice.

Thanks in advance,
Sanca

Sanca

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

Thank you! :)

Ive tried to install the newest(11.5) version of RAM Disk Plus as you mentioned, but it seems to be the same as v10 which I already had try before. After Windows startup, it says RAW for the RamDisk file system. I can not see any option for auto formatting in NTFS during boot, so I have to do it manually after booting, which I don't want.

The Page File support is only available in the 'purchased' version of RamDisk Plus; regular version doesn't support Page File nor once expired. Perhaps you need to move the Page File back to Windows default, restart and delete and create a new RAM Disk.

FAQ Pagefile -> http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/faq.php#R001

Q: How do I put a pagefile on a RAM disk?
A:
Right-click on "My Computer" and click on "Properties".
Click on the "Advanced" tab.
Click the "Settings" button in the "Performance" box.
Click on the "Advanced" tab in the "Performance Options" dialog window.
Click the "Change" button in the "Virtual Memory" box.
In the "Virtual Memory" dialog window
Select "RamDisk"
Select the "Custom size:" radio button
Set initial size and maximum size to be just a little smaller than the size of the RAM disk. Tip: Immediately above "Custom size:" is "Space available:" which is the size of RAM disk.
Select the drive that currently has the paging file.
Select the "No paging file" radio button.
Click "OK".
Restart the computer for the new settings to take effect.
Important: Pagefile support is available with RamDisk Plus 11 on 32 or 64-bit versions Windows 7, Vista or XP.

Good Luck! :)