Sign in with
Your question

Confused - Tuners & HD Cable Box

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2010 3:55:43 AM

I'musing Windows 7 MCE and looking at replacing my old analog tuner card.

Right now I have an old Happauge connected to my HD cable box via S-video.
I already have an HD Cable box which is connected to my old analog card via S-Video.
So now I just want some actual HD lol

I'm completely confused about this QAM stuff.
I mean the box can output 1080 so I should just a tuner card that can read the output using HDMI, component or whatever...

From what I can tell QAM has to do with plugging my tuner card directly into my coax (ie., no box)

But the only HD tuner cards i find only want to pick up HD via broadcast.

Happauge has a PVR with the hookups but I don't need a box that records that's what MCE is for.

Any help is appreciated it.

Thanks,

Kenny
April 27, 2010 4:15:02 AM

Kenny,

Ive been looking to find a solution for this as well. Im doing a new computer build and would like to know how to make this happen before i buy. My ultimate goal is to capture my high def show on my dvr. It wont let me copy them, so i was hoping to find a high definition capture through hdmi.

Unless im missing something, it would seem that a person should be able to connect hdmi from cable box to a computer for capture. However, it doesnt seem to be out there. I am also suprised i havent found more people demanding this option. It has me stumped.

Anyway, I hope you get a response, because there are some smart people on here and if there is a solution, they will know. Cheers

kenny720 said:
I'musing Windows 7 MCE and looking at replacing my old analog tuner card.

Right now I have an old Happauge connected to my HD cable box via S-video.
I already have an HD Cable box which is connected to my old analog card via S-Video.
So now I just want some actual HD lol

I'm completely confused about this QAM stuff.
I mean the box can output 1080 so getting a tuner card that can read the output using HDMI, component or whatever...

From what I can tell QAM has to do with plugging my tuner card directly into my coax (ie., no box)
The cards that do support HD only want to get it via broadcast.

Any help is appreciated it.

Thanks,

Kenny

m
l
April 27, 2010 1:43:18 PM

@Kenny,

What you're looking for is the CetonCorp Multi-stream Tuner Card. This, in combination with a cablecard from your cable company, will allow you to record HD programming to you PC without the cable box.

-Wolf sends
m
l
!