Sign in with
Your question

HDD speeds/switching to a SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2012 7:30:58 AM

Okay, so I recently purchased a HP Pavilion dv6t laptop for college, and I opted for the 1TB 5400rpm hard drive. Browsing through forums, I've noticed that 5400rpm hard drives are considered to be quite slow for modern computers. For only $10 extra, I could have gotten a 750GB 7200rpm hybrid hard drive (though they do not state the specific brand or model that they use). My question is, should I go through the trouble of returning the laptop to get this upgrade, or are there potential issues with hybrid hard drives that I might want to avoid? Note that I will be doing some gaming (WoW, Skyrim, and maybe a few others), so load times might be a concern. I know that SSD's are my best option, but they aren't quite within my price range. Thanks in advance.

Some other specs:
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 1GB GDDR5 memory
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Edit: I may simply replace the hard drive with a SSD in the future (assuming this is relatively easy to do), so perhaps I shouldn't worry too much about this right now. I'm not very technical, but cloning and replacing a hard drive isn't TOO difficult, correct? And is installing a SSD in a laptop a good (cost efficient, safe, worthwhile) option in the first place? All opinions are greatly appreciated!
July 20, 2012 9:33:50 AM

Wouldn't worry about sending it back imo, I've running a 5400rpm drive in my laptop and load times are not that different to the 7200rpm 1tb drive in my pc i use for games
m
l
!