bootdisc to get files off a corrupted installation

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have a heavily corrupted installation of XP Pro on my laptop and need
probably to do a full reinstall. It is on a C drive, I have some files I
need to transfer onto a D partition before reinstalling as I presume there
is no way I could burn them onto a CD ROM under any circumstances. I dont
have a floppy on this machine.

A repair install just involves sending the computer around in loops where it
turns off at the blue restarting setup screen and starts the loop again.I
MAY try creating a slipstreamed XP Install disk with SP2 on it but don't
hold out much hope.

Is there some way of burning a CD on another computer which will be the
equivalent of a Windows 98 floppy which I can boot from and then move all
files? (I did google this a few times and found a place where I was shown
how to do this which involved downloading a measly 2Kb Microsoft .img file
and burning whatever that created to a CD and THAT didn't work). I also
started Easy CD Creator and searched for boot.ini, NDETECT and NTLDR in all
files to try to burn that onto a CD but for some reason couldn't find them
on my drive, either with a simple search or in the system/hidden files.
Anyway am wondering if simply burning these files onto a CD creates a
bootable CD with all utilities on it to let me copy these files or xcopy the
my documents directory to the D drive as suggested? (I am hoping there is a
way of reinstalling the OS without FDisking the D drive out of existence).
29 answers Last reply
More about bootdisc files corrupted installation
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    What brand of laptop do you have? Do you have a retail XP cd or a restore
    cd? How is the D: drive being used on your computer?

    If you are going to do a clean install of XP, there is no need to fdisk.
    Fdisk will destroy all partitions now on your hard drive. In any case,
    fdisk is incorporated into the XP installer (you delete the partitions and
    then create a new partition.)

    To do a clean install of XP onto the C: drive, simply boot with the XP cd
    and when you reach the point in the text phase where it gives you the
    options to format your drive, choose full format of C: and not a quick
    format. D: will not be affected.

    Why are you trying to create a bootable cd for all of this?

    "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >I have a heavily corrupted installation of XP Pro on my laptop and need
    > probably to do a full reinstall. It is on a C drive, I have some files I
    > need to transfer onto a D partition before reinstalling as I presume there
    > is no way I could burn them onto a CD ROM under any circumstances. I dont
    > have a floppy on this machine.
    >
    > A repair install just involves sending the computer around in loops where
    > it
    > turns off at the blue restarting setup screen and starts the loop again.I
    > MAY try creating a slipstreamed XP Install disk with SP2 on it but don't
    > hold out much hope.
    >
    > Is there some way of burning a CD on another computer which will be the
    > equivalent of a Windows 98 floppy which I can boot from and then move all
    > files? (I did google this a few times and found a place where I was shown
    > how to do this which involved downloading a measly 2Kb Microsoft .img file
    > and burning whatever that created to a CD and THAT didn't work). I also
    > started Easy CD Creator and searched for boot.ini, NDETECT and NTLDR in
    > all
    > files to try to burn that onto a CD but for some reason couldn't find them
    > on my drive, either with a simple search or in the system/hidden files.
    > Anyway am wondering if simply burning these files onto a CD creates a
    > bootable CD with all utilities on it to let me copy these files or xcopy
    > the
    > my documents directory to the D drive as suggested? (I am hoping there is
    > way of reinstalling the OS without FDisking the D drive out of existence).

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    First, if you are getting into a loop while trying to do a repair install,
    you may have more significant issues than simply a corrupted HD. You may
    benefit from trying to figure that out before going to the trouble of saving
    your files, and reinstalling Windows...only to find that Windows still won't
    work.

    However, there are several ways to accomplish your goal.

    1) Move the drive to another working system (I realize this is a laptop, but
    there are adapters readily and cheaply available that allow you to install a
    laptop drive to a desktop.)

    2) Boot your laptop from Linux. If you use a "Live" CD, you will be running
    Linux, but will make no changes to your HD will doing it. This will allow
    you to transfer the files from one partition to another without compromising
    the integrity of the drive. Several distros allow this. Notably, "SuSE",
    "Knoppix" and "Austrumi". Go to www.linuxiso.org, download the .iso file,
    burn it to CD and boot from it. Once running, move the files you want to
    save to your "D" drive and you'll be in business.

    "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >I have a heavily corrupted installation of XP Pro on my laptop and need
    > probably to do a full reinstall. It is on a C drive, I have some files I
    > need to transfer onto a D partition before reinstalling as I presume there
    > is no way I could burn them onto a CD ROM under any circumstances. I dont
    > have a floppy on this machine.
    >
    > A repair install just involves sending the computer around in loops where
    > it
    > turns off at the blue restarting setup screen and starts the loop again.I
    > MAY try creating a slipstreamed XP Install disk with SP2 on it but don't
    > hold out much hope.
    >
    > Is there some way of burning a CD on another computer which will be the
    > equivalent of a Windows 98 floppy which I can boot from and then move all
    > files? (I did google this a few times and found a place where I was shown
    > how to do this which involved downloading a measly 2Kb Microsoft .img file
    > and burning whatever that created to a CD and THAT didn't work). I also
    > started Easy CD Creator and searched for boot.ini, NDETECT and NTLDR in
    > all
    > files to try to burn that onto a CD but for some reason couldn't find them
    > on my drive, either with a simple search or in the system/hidden files.
    > Anyway am wondering if simply burning these files onto a CD creates a
    > bootable CD with all utilities on it to let me copy these files or xcopy
    > the
    > my documents directory to the D drive as suggested? (I am hoping there is
    > way of reinstalling the OS without FDisking the D drive out of existence).

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Yes! The significant issues he may have is in the bios.

    Example: The Asus A7V133 M/B must be set to boot from the CD to begin the
    install of the operating system. After the first reboot, the system wants to
    boot from the hard drive to continue - but the bios will not allow it to
    happen. You now have to enter the bios again and turn off "boot from CD" and
    enable booting from the hard drive. If you don't, you will be stuck in a
    continuous LOOP!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
    > First, if you are getting into a loop while trying to do a repair install,
    > you may have more significant issues than simply a corrupted HD. You may
    > benefit from trying to figure that out before going to the trouble of
    > saving your files, and reinstalling Windows...only to find that Windows
    > still won't work.
    >
    > However, there are several ways to accomplish your goal.
    >
    > 1) Move the drive to another working system (I realize this is a laptop,
    > but there are adapters readily and cheaply available that allow you to
    > install a laptop drive to a desktop.)
    >
    > 2) Boot your laptop from Linux. If you use a "Live" CD, you will be
    > running Linux, but will make no changes to your HD will doing it. This
    > will allow you to transfer the files from one partition to another without
    > compromising the integrity of the drive. Several distros allow this.
    > Notably, "SuSE", "Knoppix" and "Austrumi". Go to www.linuxiso.org,
    > download the .iso file, burn it to CD and boot from it. Once running,
    > move the files you want to save to your "D" drive and you'll be in
    > business.
    >
    > "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a heavily corrupted installation of XP Pro on my laptop and need
    >> probably to do a full reinstall. It is on a C drive, I have some files I
    >> need to transfer onto a D partition before reinstalling as I presume
    >> there
    >> is no way I could burn them onto a CD ROM under any circumstances. I dont
    >> have a floppy on this machine.
    >>
    >> A repair install just involves sending the computer around in loops where
    >> it
    >> turns off at the blue restarting setup screen and starts the loop again.I
    >> MAY try creating a slipstreamed XP Install disk with SP2 on it but don't
    >> hold out much hope.
    >>
    >> Is there some way of burning a CD on another computer which will be the
    >> equivalent of a Windows 98 floppy which I can boot from and then move all
    >> files? (I did google this a few times and found a place where I was shown
    >> how to do this which involved downloading a measly 2Kb Microsoft .img
    >> file
    >> and burning whatever that created to a CD and THAT didn't work). I also
    >> started Easy CD Creator and searched for boot.ini, NDETECT and NTLDR in
    >> all
    >> files to try to burn that onto a CD but for some reason couldn't find
    >> them
    >> on my drive, either with a simple search or in the system/hidden files.
    >> Anyway am wondering if simply burning these files onto a CD creates a
    >> bootable CD with all utilities on it to let me copy these files or xcopy
    >> the
    >> my documents directory to the D drive as suggested? (I am hoping there
    >> is a
    >> way of reinstalling the OS without FDisking the D drive out of
    >> existence).

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestions: The reason I wanted to do this was to move some
    pictures from the drive onto the other partition, not OS files which are
    irretrievably and totally broken so that I can use them again (though that
    isnt a too bad idea, - see later comments on licensing agreements on this
    computer which is totally legal at the moment but which soon won't look it).

    > you may have more significant issues than simply a corrupted HD.

    You arent suggesting that I might have hardware issues are you?

    It is a Toshiba and came with one of those pathetic recovery discs but I
    also have a friend with an install disc which he has lent me to repair my
    installation. Unfortunately I suspect it has given me HIS product serial
    number and key so I am hoping there aren't any FBI agents and Microsoft
    attorneys waiting on the tarmac for me when I land at a US airfield next
    time I come into the US gestapoing me into answering how MY computer has an
    already used serial number. I don't suppose you can retain an XP Pro OS
    serial number can you.

    The "Live" CD Linux idea seems to be the best assuming I can just drag and
    drop the whole My Documents directory from the C partition to the D
    partition. The only problem being that people trying Knoppix might find it
    a bit too enticing to ignore with threats of enforcement of XP licensing
    'agreements'?

    BTW is there any easily explicable difference between "SuSE", "Knoppix"
    Mandrake 10.1 and "Austrumi". To a non-linux non-techie, they all look
    bewilderingly the same and nowhere does anyone explain or set out in a
    simple chart what the differences are, especailly while when you try to
    distinguish them from each other, the techies are constantly claiming (in
    lengthy charts which tell you nothing) that each one is a variant of some
    other one
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The pathetic reinstall cd also installs the pathetic proprietary drivers
    required by your laptop. Hopefully you have a separate driver cd so you can
    reinstall the drivers. If not, the drivers should be available for download
    from Toshiba.

    > Thanks for the suggestions: The reason I wanted to do this was to move
    > some
    > pictures from the drive onto the other partition, not OS files which are
    > irretrievably and totally broken so that I can use them again (though that
    > isnt a too bad idea, - see later comments on licensing agreements on this
    > computer which is totally legal at the moment but which soon won't look
    > it).
    >
    >> you may have more significant issues than simply a corrupted HD.
    >
    > You arent suggesting that I might have hardware issues are you?
    >
    > It is a Toshiba and came with one of those pathetic recovery discs but I
    > also have a friend with an install disc which he has lent me to repair my
    > installation. Unfortunately I suspect it has given me HIS product serial
    > number and key so I am hoping there aren't any FBI agents and Microsoft
    > attorneys waiting on the tarmac for me when I land at a US airfield next
    > time I come into the US gestapoing me into answering how MY computer has
    > an
    > already used serial number. I don't suppose you can retain an XP Pro OS
    > serial number can you.
    >
    > The "Live" CD Linux idea seems to be the best assuming I can just drag and
    > drop the whole My Documents directory from the C partition to the D
    > partition. The only problem being that people trying Knoppix might find
    > it
    > a bit too enticing to ignore with threats of enforcement of XP licensing
    > 'agreements'?
    >
    > BTW is there any easily explicable difference between "SuSE", "Knoppix"
    > Mandrake 10.1 and "Austrumi". To a non-linux non-techie, they all look
    > bewilderingly the same and nowhere does anyone explain or set out in a
    > simple chart what the differences are, especailly while when you try to
    > distinguish them from each other, the techies are constantly claiming (in
    > lengthy charts which tell you nothing) that each one is a variant of some
    > other one

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I wonder if the install procedure changes the BIOS settings (or anything
    else for that matter) to do this? I do know that on this Toshiba laptop you
    ARE supposed ot install from that recovery disc but was assured by a Toshiba
    premier Service Agent in England (where Toshibas DO have support and they DO
    know what they are talking about) that I can install from an ordinariiy XP
    install CD and then download all those drivers from the Toshiba site. In any
    event, during the boot process, I AM given the option to boot from CD so I
    assume that if I dont select CD, it will boot from CD

    In any event, changing the boot device in BIOS in any way still results in
    the continuous loop after "Setup is being restarted" (during which it does
    look for a CD) whic is just after the XP splash screen and still gives you
    the option of booting from CD by pressing C
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Accept the option on the initial boot to the cd. The option to boot from cd
    is offered following each reboot during a normal setup. Ignore these and XP
    will proceed from the setup files it loaded initially. If you keep hitting
    boot from cd you will just loop back to the beginning of the installation.
    When you let the offer to boot from cd time out, the system boots from the
    hard drive. This is what you want after the initial boot.

    >I wonder if the install procedure changes the BIOS settings (or anything
    > else for that matter) to do this? I do know that on this Toshiba laptop
    > you
    > ARE supposed ot install from that recovery disc but was assured by a
    > Toshiba
    > premier Service Agent in England (where Toshibas DO have support and they
    > DO
    > know what they are talking about) that I can install from an ordinariiy XP
    > install CD and then download all those drivers from the Toshiba site. In
    > any
    > event, during the boot process, I AM given the option to boot from CD so I
    > assume that if I dont select CD, it will boot from CD
    >
    > In any event, changing the boot device in BIOS in any way still results in
    > the continuous loop after "Setup is being restarted" (during which it does
    > look for a CD) whic is just after the XP splash screen and still gives you
    > the option of booting from CD by pressing C

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > 2) Boot your laptop from Linux.
    Well I tried that and Linux woulndt let me write to the D partition. It
    could read it but woulndt let me mount it or change its state so that it
    could be written to.

    Possibly something to do with it being NTFS?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Sorry not to have given a fuller explanation

    Initially I had an installation in which various stages weren't working: The
    PC card stage, USB, and various other bits. I did a repair install and SFC
    etc. The whole thing started to get better but still vital parts weren't
    working. At that stage I probably had an irretrievably broken system. SO I
    found a Microsoft Backup file on my D drive which seemed to include a
    restore system state provision which presumably meant a registry dating from
    the time Windows was working properly. As a last resort, I installed that
    backup, ticking the C drive, the D drive and the system state. THAT killed
    the whole OS. Then it would do nothing other than give me a BSOD after the
    initial seven second XP splash-screen-with-flowing-blue-dots.

    So I booted from the install CD and did a repair install of XP. It failed to
    finish numerous times (although to be fair it did tell me that it was
    identifying that REPAIR had not completed the last time I tried it). It did
    delete various install files from some directory I had never heard of called
    $NT_USER$ or something and installed its own install files into its own
    install directory. It THEN rebooted and when I let it go to its hard drive
    to install the OS from those files, THAT is when it started looping. I cant
    imagine there is any way of resuscitating this dead system and want to do a
    full reinstall on the C drive, wiping that partition in the process because
    otherwise all registries there which would be found on restart are
    irretrievably corrupted. I know that there isn't a scanreg /restore
    function within XP whereby you can restore an old registry like there used
    to be on windows 98.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    What support are you recieving from the manufacturer?

    > Sorry not to have given a fuller explanation
    >
    > Initially I had an installation in which various stages weren't working:
    > The
    > PC card stage, USB, and various other bits. I did a repair install and SFC
    > etc. The whole thing started to get better but still vital parts weren't
    > working. At that stage I probably had an irretrievably broken system. SO
    > found a Microsoft Backup file on my D drive which seemed to include a
    > restore system state provision which presumably meant a registry dating
    > from
    > the time Windows was working properly. As a last resort, I installed that
    > backup, ticking the C drive, the D drive and the system state. THAT killed
    > the whole OS. Then it would do nothing other than give me a BSOD after the
    > initial seven second XP splash-screen-with-flowing-blue-dots.
    >
    > So I booted from the install CD and did a repair install of XP. It failed
    > finish numerous times (although to be fair it did tell me that it was
    > identifying that REPAIR had not completed the last time I tried it). It
    > did
    > delete various install files from some directory I had never heard of
    > called
    > $NT_USER$ or something and installed its own install files into its own
    > install directory. It THEN rebooted and when I let it go to its hard drive
    > to install the OS from those files, THAT is when it started looping. I
    > cant
    > imagine there is any way of resuscitating this dead system and want to do
    > full reinstall on the C drive, wiping that partition in the process
    > because
    > otherwise all registries there which would be found on restart are
    > irretrievably corrupted. I know that there isn't a scanreg /restore
    > function within XP whereby you can restore an old registry like there used
    > to be on windows 98.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    None whatsoever: Toshiba don't offer technical support any more.They suppose
    that only the serious user buys their computers who all have their own MIS
    departments. Which is probably why they only offer a recovery disc

    SO they only have people who answer phones, pretned to listen to a problem
    and tell everyone to destroy all their data and configurations by using the
    recovery disc

    > What support are you recieving from the manufacturer?

    > "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    > > Sorry not to have given a fuller explanation
    > >
    > > Initially I had an installation in which various stages weren't working:
    > > The
    > > PC card stage, USB, and various other bits. I did a repair install and
    SFC
    > > etc. The whole thing started to get better but still vital parts weren't
    > > working. At that stage I probably had an irretrievably broken system.
    SO
    > > found a Microsoft Backup file on my D drive which seemed to include a
    > > restore system state provision which presumably meant a registry dating
    > > from
    > > the time Windows was working properly. As a last resort, I installed
    that
    > > backup, ticking the C drive, the D drive and the system state. THAT
    killed
    > > the whole OS. Then it would do nothing other than give me a BSOD after
    the
    > > initial seven second XP splash-screen-with-flowing-blue-dots.
    > >
    > > So I booted from the install CD and did a repair install of XP. It
    failed
    > > finish numerous times (although to be fair it did tell me that it was
    > > identifying that REPAIR had not completed the last time I tried it). It
    > > did
    > > delete various install files from some directory I had never heard of
    > > called
    > > $NT_USER$ or something and installed its own install files into its own
    > > install directory. It THEN rebooted and when I let it go to its hard
    drive
    > > to install the OS from those files, THAT is when it started looping. I
    > > cant
    > > imagine there is any way of resuscitating this dead system and want to
    do
    > > full reinstall on the C drive, wiping that partition in the process
    > > because
    > > otherwise all registries there which would be found on restart are
    > > irretrievably corrupted. I know that there isn't a scanreg /restore
    > > function within XP whereby you can restore an old registry like there
    used
    > > to be on windows 98.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I find it very hard to believe that Toshiba does not support what they sell
    unless you made a purchase outside of their support policies.

    > None whatsoever: Toshiba don't offer technical support any more.They
    > suppose
    > that only the serious user buys their computers who all have their own MIS
    > departments. Which is probably why they only offer a recovery disc
    >
    > SO they only have people who answer phones, pretned to listen to a problem
    > and tell everyone to destroy all their data and configurations by using
    > the
    > recovery disc

    >> What support are you recieving from the manufacturer?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry not to have given a fuller explanation
    >> >
    >> > Initially I had an installation in which various stages weren't
    >> > working:
    >> > The
    >> > PC card stage, USB, and various other bits. I did a repair install and
    > SFC
    >> > etc. The whole thing started to get better but still vital parts
    >> > weren't
    >> > working. At that stage I probably had an irretrievably broken system.
    > SO
    >> > found a Microsoft Backup file on my D drive which seemed to include a
    >> > restore system state provision which presumably meant a registry dating
    >> > from
    >> > the time Windows was working properly. As a last resort, I installed
    > that
    >> > backup, ticking the C drive, the D drive and the system state. THAT
    > killed
    >> > the whole OS. Then it would do nothing other than give me a BSOD after
    > the
    >> > initial seven second XP splash-screen-with-flowing-blue-dots.
    >> >
    >> > So I booted from the install CD and did a repair install of XP. It
    > failed
    >> > finish numerous times (although to be fair it did tell me that it was
    >> > identifying that REPAIR had not completed the last time I tried it). It
    >> > did
    >> > delete various install files from some directory I had never heard of
    >> > called
    >> > $NT_USER$ or something and installed its own install files into its own
    >> > install directory. It THEN rebooted and when I let it go to its hard
    > drive
    >> > to install the OS from those files, THAT is when it started looping. I
    >> > cant
    >> > imagine there is any way of resuscitating this dead system and want to
    > do
    >> > full reinstall on the C drive, wiping that partition in the process
    >> > because
    >> > otherwise all registries there which would be found on restart are
    >> > irretrievably corrupted. I know that there isn't a scanreg /restore
    >> > function within XP whereby you can restore an old registry like there
    > used
    >> > to be on windows 98.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Then try calling them with the simplest of problems. Their number is 800 457
    7777. Watch as the guy either tires to wriggle out of helping you at all by
    asking interminable irrelevant questions and then says "just let me double
    check that" (implying that there is something to DOUBLE check when in
    reality he is completely untrained and hasnt the vaguest idea what you are
    talking about, - this is Indian tech support at its cheapest) and tells you
    to put the recovery disc in and restart your computer.

    The first time it happened to me, I was a slight newbie, and had a very
    minor SCSI termination problem on a Zip drive which anyone with five minutes
    training could have identified. Hardly a reason to destroy all my data,
    configurations and software. But a problem which a recovery disc wouldnt
    help with in the slightest. When I demurred, he got his supervisor who had
    the temerity to ask if I was refusing to do what they said!!

    > I find it very hard to believe that Toshiba does not support what they
    sell
    > unless you made a purchase outside of their support policies.

    > "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    > > None whatsoever: Toshiba don't offer technical support any more.They
    > > suppose
    > > that only the serious user buys their computers who all have their own
    MIS
    > > departments. Which is probably why they only offer a recovery disc
    > >
    > > SO they only have people who answer phones, pretned to listen to a
    problem
    > > and tell everyone to destroy all their data and configurations by using
    > > the
    > > recovery disc
    > >

    > > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >> What support are you recieving from the manufacturer?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > >> "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message

    > > SFC
    > > SO
    > > that
    > > killed
    > > the

    > > failed
    It
    > > drive
    > > do
    > > used

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Sorry. They are still your support.

    > Then try calling them with the simplest of problems. Their number is 800
    > 457
    > 7777. Watch as the guy either tires to wriggle out of helping you at all
    > by
    > asking interminable irrelevant questions and then says "just let me double
    > check that" (implying that there is something to DOUBLE check when in
    > reality he is completely untrained and hasnt the vaguest idea what you are
    > talking about, - this is Indian tech support at its cheapest) and tells
    > you
    > to put the recovery disc in and restart your computer.
    >
    > The first time it happened to me, I was a slight newbie, and had a very
    > minor SCSI termination problem on a Zip drive which anyone with five
    > minutes
    > training could have identified. Hardly a reason to destroy all my data,
    > configurations and software. But a problem which a recovery disc wouldnt
    > help with in the slightest. When I demurred, he got his supervisor who had
    > the temerity to ask if I was refusing to do what they said!!

    >> I find it very hard to believe that Toshiba does not support what they
    > sell
    >> unless you made a purchase outside of their support policies.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >> > None whatsoever: Toshiba don't offer technical support any more.They
    >> > suppose
    >> > that only the serious user buys their computers who all have their own
    > MIS
    >> > departments. Which is probably why they only offer a recovery disc
    >> >
    >> > SO they only have people who answer phones, pretned to listen to a
    > problem
    >> > and tell everyone to destroy all their data and configurations by using
    >> > the
    >> > recovery disc
    >> >

    >> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    > and
    >> > SFC
    > system.
    >> > SO
    > dating
    >> > that
    >> > killed
    > after
    >> > the

    >> > failed
    > It
    > own
    >> > drive
    >> > do
    >> > used

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    news.microsoft.com wrote:
    > I have a heavily corrupted installation of XP Pro on my laptop and need
    > probably to do a full reinstall. It is on a C drive, I have some files I
    > need to transfer onto a D partition before reinstalling as I presume there
    > is no way I could burn them onto a CD ROM under any circumstances. I dont
    > have a floppy on this machine.
    >
    > A repair install just involves sending the computer around in loops where it
    > turns off at the blue restarting setup screen and starts the loop again.I
    > MAY try creating a slipstreamed XP Install disk with SP2 on it but don't
    > hold out much hope.
    >
    > Is there some way of burning a CD on another computer which will be the
    > equivalent of a Windows 98 floppy which I can boot from and then move all
    > files? (I did google this a few times and found a place where I was shown
    > how to do this which involved downloading a measly 2Kb Microsoft .img file
    > and burning whatever that created to a CD and THAT didn't work). I also
    > started Easy CD Creator and searched for boot.ini, NDETECT and NTLDR in all
    > files to try to burn that onto a CD but for some reason couldn't find them
    > on my drive, either with a simple search or in the system/hidden files.
    > Anyway am wondering if simply burning these files onto a CD creates a
    > bootable CD with all utilities on it to let me copy these files or xcopy the
    > my documents directory to the D drive as suggested? (I am hoping there is a
    > way of reinstalling the OS without FDisking the D drive out of existence).

    You could try Bart's PE CD. You will need to download the
    iso and get someone to burn it to CD. If you do this,
    *follow the instructions* properly. You do not just copy the
    iso to the CD.

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Cheers,

    Cliff
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Cliff

    Great idea: Looks like a great resource but I had a severe problem with
    creating the boot disc: I have easy CD creator and haven't had any problems
    with creating CDs thus far with this software. However when I tried to
    create the boot disc from the ISO which I downloaded and then used their
    tool to slipstream, I started getting error messages BIG TIME

    For example:
    E80041927 TrackWriter eror ASPI failure [T7121]
    E80041934 TrackWriter eror flush failed [T7127]
    E80004005 TrackWriter eror ASPI failure [T7121]
    Unspecified error

    All on the same write attempt and on two discs.

    Is there some reason why writes end up this way when you are trying to burn
    an XP bootable CD?

    > You could try Bart's PE CD. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I found the same thing. For some reason when I dropped the .iso icon onto
    the Roxio Drag to Disk icon Roxio burned the cd but then reported that the
    639mb file was too large. I suspect I am reusing some older cd's so I am
    going to get some fresh ones and see if it goes OK. I also suspect that I
    need to update Roxio.

    > Hi Cliff
    >
    > Great idea: Looks like a great resource but I had a severe problem with
    > creating the boot disc: I have easy CD creator and haven't had any
    > problems
    > with creating CDs thus far with this software. However when I tried to
    > create the boot disc from the ISO which I downloaded and then used their
    > tool to slipstream, I started getting error messages BIG TIME
    >
    > For example:
    > E80041927 TrackWriter eror ASPI failure [T7121]
    > E80041934 TrackWriter eror flush failed [T7127]
    > E80004005 TrackWriter eror ASPI failure [T7121]
    > Unspecified error
    >
    > All on the same write attempt and on two discs.
    >
    > Is there some reason why writes end up this way when you are trying to
    > burn
    > an XP bootable CD?
    >
    >> You could try Bart's PE CD. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > I found the same thing. For some reason when I dropped the .iso icon onto
    the Roxio Drag to Disk icon Roxio burned the cd but then reported that the
    639mb
    > file was too large. I suspect I am reusing some older cd's so I am going
    to get some fresh ones and see if it goes OK. I also suspect that I need
    to update Roxio.

    V Interesting: I have so far composed three coasters from a program on which
    I have never managed to make coasters before. And they all have the same
    error message at the same (two thirds of the way through burning) part of
    the disc so it ISNT the disc. My Roxio is completely updated except that it
    is the bundled version of which I ALSO have the Platinum version: I wonder
    if there is any point in moving to the Platinum version and updating the
    serial number? Roxio calls it an 'upgrade' but this seems like propaganda
    which they cant support with explanations: I tried asking them if there
    were any differences between the Platinum version and the bundled version
    and they didn't seem to know.

    (Dont burn any more coasters until we have this worked out)
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I'm not sure who is typing what in your message... anyway, you do not use
    Drag to Disk to burn an ISO image! If roxio (YUK) even finished the burn it
    would still not work! You need to use the disk mastering section of EZ CD
    Creator to burn an image file to CD. BTW, I have used Bart's PE CD and it
    will read your drive if there is any thing left to read.

    BTW, couldn't you find a few more groups to cross post to? Waste of
    bandwidth...

    Anyway, Good Luck!
    Len

    >> I found the same thing. For some reason when I dropped the .iso icon
    >> onto
    > the Roxio Drag to Disk icon Roxio burned the cd but then reported that the
    > 639mb
    >> file was too large. I suspect I am reusing some older cd's so I am
    >> going
    > to get some fresh ones and see if it goes OK. I also suspect that I need
    > to update Roxio.

    > V Interesting: I have so far composed three coasters from a program on
    > which
    > I have never managed to make coasters before. And they all have the same
    > error message at the same (two thirds of the way through burning) part of
    > the disc so it ISNT the disc. My Roxio is completely updated except that
    > it
    > is the bundled version of which I ALSO have the Platinum version: I wonder
    > if there is any point in moving to the Platinum version and updating the
    > serial number? Roxio calls it an 'upgrade' but this seems like propaganda
    > which they cant support with explanations: I tried asking them if there
    > were any differences between the Platinum version and the bundled version
    > and they didn't seem to know.
    >
    > (Dont burn any more coasters until we have this worked out)

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    you do not use
    > Drag to Disk to burn an ISO image! If roxio (YUK) even finished the burn
    it
    > would still not work! You need to use the disk mastering section of EZ CD
    > Creator to burn an image file to CD.

    It's me doing the typing: What I am doing is what I THOUGHT I was told to
    do on the download page: Not sure what Disc Mastering is. I open the ISO
    using File, Record-CD-From-CD-Image in Easy CD Creator,
    Highlight-the-ISO-file (it puts in two files totaling a few kilobytes) then
    add all the files it tells you to add after you have done this by dragging
    them from windows explorer to the Files section of the burn software? I
    must admit to having had this problem even with the simplest and most
    foolproof burning software, Sony CD Complete Pro Version 1.4 which only EVER
    made coasters when I tried to add both files and folders to a job. Is there
    a proper way of doing this in the Roxio application? Is the Platinum
    version of Easy CD Creator any different from the bundled one in this
    regard? I know they are constantly nagging me to upgrade and I DO have the
    platinum version of 5 as well as the bundled one but the bundled one came
    with the DVD burner and I was worried that the earlier platinum version was
    one not designed for burning DVDs. I agree with you about it being a
    catastrophic application (I was one of those who tried to use it with
    Windows 2000) and with a company as unreliable as Roxio, you can understand
    that the last thing I want to do is to start trying to upgrade it to
    something which may have less functionality and then try to manually change
    hundreds of registry entries when I have to downgrade it again or uninstall
    it to put something else on my drive!!!

    And sorry about the waste of bandwidth: The situation arises when you post
    to a newsgroup and no one answers. (That is how this thread started, with a
    few of those unanswered threads over a few weeks posted one place for a few
    days or weeks, then another). I admit it shows I don't know how newsgroups
    work but you sorta get the idea that no one knowledgeable was there for the
    few weeks when you were looking so wonder if that is the proper newsgroup
    for this type of posting in future. After you have done this a few times,
    you learn that the only way you are going to get a response is by cross
    posting. So you cross-post just to get a response. I thought that the
    whole point of cross posting (as opposed to posting multiple times on
    different groups) was NOT to waste bandwidth?
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Sorry Len, let me correct that: When I try to open File,
    record-cd-from-CD-image, it is greyed out:

    What I actually use is I use is File, New-CD-Project, Bootable-CD then I
    select the ISO file then I use drag and drop to add whatever files are in
    the directory the BartPE page tells me to add to that project which I
    thought would merely be added to the bootable CD.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Not sure what you have going on there?? When I open Roxio, then Creator
    Classic under file I have Burn Disk from Image as a choice. It then pops up
    a window allowing you to track down where you have stored that .iso file on
    your system and select it. After that it is a straight forward operation to
    burn the cd.

    If it is an ISO of a bootable CD then there should be no need to set it up
    specifically as a bootable CD. Have not used Bart for a time - thank
    goodness no need to. So do not recall exactly how I burned the disk.
    However, a good iso should be bootable without issue if it was properly
    created from a bootable CD.

    Anyway, good luck - about all I can offer,
    Len
    > Sorry Len, let me correct that: When I try to open File,
    > record-cd-from-CD-image, it is greyed out:
    >
    > What I actually use is I use is File, New-CD-Project, Bootable-CD then I
    > select the ISO file then I use drag and drop to add whatever files are in
    > the directory the BartPE page tells me to add to that project which I
    > thought would merely be added to the bootable CD.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I made the Bart PE iso and used this program to burn it..
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm I just made the
    ISO..right click and choose Copy Image to CD and it boots fine.

    "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure what you have going on there?? When I open Roxio, then Creator
    > Classic under file I have Burn Disk from Image as a choice. It then pops
    > up a window allowing you to track down where you have stored that .iso
    > file on your system and select it. After that it is a straight forward
    > operation to burn the cd.
    >
    > If it is an ISO of a bootable CD then there should be no need to set it up
    > specifically as a bootable CD. Have not used Bart for a time - thank
    > goodness no need to. So do not recall exactly how I burned the disk.
    > However, a good iso should be bootable without issue if it was properly
    > created from a bootable CD.
    >
    > Anyway, good luck - about all I can offer,
    > Len
    > "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    >> Sorry Len, let me correct that: When I try to open File,
    >> record-cd-from-CD-image, it is greyed out:
    >>
    >> What I actually use is I use is File, New-CD-Project, Bootable-CD then I
    >> select the ISO file then I use drag and drop to add whatever files are in
    >> the directory the BartPE page tells me to add to that project which I
    >> thought would merely be added to the bootable CD.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Actually it is a bit easier than that: I found that my problem was trying to
    use BART to create an ISO for burning. If you let BART do the whole process
    itself including the burn, it burns and the disc works. Since then I have
    tried making an ISO just to be sure and it DIDN'T burn. In my Roxio there
    isn't the option you mention, just the create bootable CD option in which
    you are asked to burn from an ISO. Then it doesn't do so. Sometimes it cant
    even find its ISO in OPEN!!

    Anyway BART seems to be a powerful and useful program which did exactly what
    I wanted, It might even repair the XP installation for me, though I doubt it
    so I am going to format and reinstall having taken all necessary files off
    onto the D drive

    "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I made the Bart PE iso and used this program to burn it..
    > http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm I just made the
    > ISO..right click and choose Copy Image to CD and it boots fine.
    >
    > "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Not sure what you have going on there?? When I open Roxio, then Creator
    > > Classic under file I have Burn Disk from Image as a choice. It then
    pops
    > > up a window allowing you to track down where you have stored that .iso
    > > file on your system and select it. After that it is a straight forward
    > > operation to burn the cd.
    > >
    > > If it is an ISO of a bootable CD then there should be no need to set it
    up
    > > specifically as a bootable CD. Have not used Bart for a time - thank
    > > goodness no need to. So do not recall exactly how I burned the disk.
    > > However, a good iso should be bootable without issue if it was properly
    > > created from a bootable CD.
    > >
    > > Anyway, good luck - about all I can offer,
    > > Len
    > > "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
    > >> Sorry Len, let me correct that: When I try to open File,
    > >> record-cd-from-CD-image, it is greyed out:
    > >>
    > >> What I actually use is I use is File, New-CD-Project, Bootable-CD then
    > >> select the ISO file then I use drag and drop to add whatever files are
    in
    > >> the directory the BartPE page tells me to add to that project which I
    > >> thought would merely be added to the bootable CD.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    In Roxio I think it is called "Image to Disk" in Classic.

    > Actually it is a bit easier than that: I found that my problem was trying
    > use BART to create an ISO for burning. If you let BART do the whole
    > process
    > itself including the burn, it burns and the disc works. Since then I have
    > tried making an ISO just to be sure and it DIDN'T burn. In my Roxio there
    > isn't the option you mention, just the create bootable CD option in which
    > you are asked to burn from an ISO. Then it doesn't do so. Sometimes it
    > cant
    > even find its ISO in OPEN!!
    >
    > Anyway BART seems to be a powerful and useful program which did exactly
    > what
    > I wanted, It might even repair the XP installation for me, though I doubt
    > it
    > so I am going to format and reinstall having taken all necessary files off
    > onto the D drive
    >
    > "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> I made the Bart PE iso and used this program to burn it..
    >> http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm I just made the
    >> ISO..right click and choose Copy Image to CD and it boots fine.
    >>
    >> "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Not sure what you have going on there?? When I open Roxio, then
    >> > Creator
    >> > Classic under file I have Burn Disk from Image as a choice. It then
    > pops
    >> > up a window allowing you to track down where you have stored that .iso
    >> > file on your system and select it. After that it is a straight forward
    >> > operation to burn the cd.
    >> >
    >> > If it is an ISO of a bootable CD then there should be no need to set it
    > up
    >> > specifically as a bootable CD. Have not used Bart for a time - thank
    >> > goodness no need to. So do not recall exactly how I burned the disk.
    >> > However, a good iso should be bootable without issue if it was properly
    >> > created from a bootable CD.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, good luck - about all I can offer,
    >> > Len
    >> > "news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message

    > in

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Ah yes, but as I mentioned, with a company as unreliable as Roxio, I didnt
    dare to change from Basic which burns DVDs to Platinum in version 5: I
    don't know what unsupported problems it might create which I would then be
    forced to spend months trying to rectify. They wont tell me if it does
    actually represent any sort of upgrade (except for their marketing purposes)
    so I am equally forced to rely on the adage "if it aint broke, dont fix it".
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    news.microsoft.com wrote:

    > Actually it is a bit easier than that: I found that my problem was trying to
    > use BART to create an ISO for burning. If you let BART do the whole process
    > itself including the burn, it burns and the disc works. Since then I have
    > tried making an ISO just to be sure and it DIDN'T burn. In my Roxio there
    > isn't the option you mention, just the create bootable CD option in which
    > you are asked to burn from an ISO. Then it doesn't do so. Sometimes it cant
    > even find its ISO in OPEN!!
    >
    > Anyway BART seems to be a powerful and useful program which did exactly what
    > I wanted, It might even repair the XP installation for me, though I doubt it
    > so I am going to format and reinstall having taken all necessary files off
    > onto the D drive

    I'm glad you got there in the end! I use Nero so, while the
    conversation was interesting, I couldn't help.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I prefer this site for Bootable CD:

    http://ubcd4win.com/

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:42:35 +1300, Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com>
    wrote:

    >news.microsoft.com wrote:
    >> I have a heavily corrupted installation of XP Pro on my laptop and need
    >> probably to do a full reinstall. It is on a C drive, I have some files I
    >> need to transfer onto a D partition before reinstalling as I presume there
    >> is no way I could burn them onto a CD ROM under any circumstances. I dont
    >> have a floppy on this machine.
    >>
    >> A repair install just involves sending the computer around in loops where it
    >> turns off at the blue restarting setup screen and starts the loop again.I
    >> MAY try creating a slipstreamed XP Install disk with SP2 on it but don't
    >> hold out much hope.
    >>
    >> Is there some way of burning a CD on another computer which will be the
    >> equivalent of a Windows 98 floppy which I can boot from and then move all
    >> files? (I did google this a few times and found a place where I was shown
    >> how to do this which involved downloading a measly 2Kb Microsoft .img file
    >> and burning whatever that created to a CD and THAT didn't work). I also
    >> started Easy CD Creator and searched for boot.ini, NDETECT and NTLDR in all
    >> files to try to burn that onto a CD but for some reason couldn't find them
    >> on my drive, either with a simple search or in the system/hidden files.
    >> Anyway am wondering if simply burning these files onto a CD creates a
    >> bootable CD with all utilities on it to let me copy these files or xcopy the
    >> my documents directory to the D drive as suggested? (I am hoping there is a
    >> way of reinstalling the OS without FDisking the D drive out of existence).
    >>

    >You could try Bart's PE CD. You will need to download the
    >iso and get someone to burn it to CD. If you do this,
    >*follow the instructions* properly. You do not just copy the
    >iso to the CD.
    >
    >http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I second David about ubcd4win.

    "David Sherman" <dshermin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    >I prefer this site for Bootable CD:
    >
    > http://ubcd4win.com/
    >
    > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:42:35 +1300, Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>news.microsoft.com wrote:
    >>> I have a heavily corrupted installation of XP Pro on my laptop and need
    >>> probably to do a full reinstall. It is on a C drive, I have some files
    >>> need to transfer onto a D partition before reinstalling as I presume
    >>> there
    >>> is no way I could burn them onto a CD ROM under any circumstances. I
    >>> dont
    >>> have a floppy on this machine.
    >>>
    >>> A repair install just involves sending the computer around in loops
    >>> where it
    >>> turns off at the blue restarting setup screen and starts the loop
    >>> again.I
    >>> MAY try creating a slipstreamed XP Install disk with SP2 on it but don't
    >>> hold out much hope.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some way of burning a CD on another computer which will be the
    >>> equivalent of a Windows 98 floppy which I can boot from and then move
    >>> all
    >>> files? (I did google this a few times and found a place where I was
    >>> shown
    >>> how to do this which involved downloading a measly 2Kb Microsoft .img
    >>> file
    >>> and burning whatever that created to a CD and THAT didn't work). I also
    >>> started Easy CD Creator and searched for boot.ini, NDETECT and NTLDR in
    >>> all
    >>> files to try to burn that onto a CD but for some reason couldn't find
    >>> them
    >>> on my drive, either with a simple search or in the system/hidden files.
    >>> Anyway am wondering if simply burning these files onto a CD creates a
    >>> bootable CD with all utilities on it to let me copy these files or xcopy
    >>> the
    >>> my documents directory to the D drive as suggested? (I am hoping there
    >>> is a
    >>> way of reinstalling the OS without FDisking the D drive out of
    >>> existence).
    >>>

    >>You could try Bart's PE CD. You will need to download the
    >>iso and get someone to burn it to CD. If you do this,
    >>*follow the instructions* properly. You do not just copy the
    >>iso to the CD.
    >>
    >>http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Cliff

Configuration Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP