zbart

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
So I have a DVD burner that has a few years on it, it reads everything fine. I haven't used it in awhile until just the other day. It's taking well over an hour just to burn one disk.. sitting at ~600 KB/second the whole time.

It is the lite-on dvdrw shw-160p6s.

I'm running Win7 64-bit Professional
AMD 64 X2 6400+
ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe
Not sure what all is really helpful to give for this sort of problem.

I have tried checking uninstalling the ATA channel, and that did not work. I had alcohol installed, but removed that because some people said it could cause problems. I only have the one drive and I am using the built-in "usb-like" stuff that is in windows.

Two odd things that I can't figure out in the device manager. For one, it says I have a floppy drive, which I don't. Secondly, in the ATA channel 0, it says there are two supported devices. I don't know what else would be detected or if that is somehow causing an issue.

Could it just be the drive getting old? I dunno. I'm just trying to avoid purchasing a new one if I can.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
Another reason that your DVD drive might be burning slowly is that it does not recognize the brand of disc and or its write stratagem so defaults to the slowest speed possible. Try a different brand of disc or see if the drive has a firmware update.
Go into your BIOS to "disable" the floppy drive.

Check your IDE settings for "Enhanced" or something like that. Or are you SATA?

Check for any false hardware (i.e. Hard Drives) installed.

I don't know what a good burn rate is, mine takes a long time, also. Have you ever burned before? I do know that regardless of IDE or SATA burners, transfer rates are slow, but I would think at least 15MBps. Copying files from drive to drive maxes out at around 100MBps, so 600KBps burn is indeed slow.

I've never trusted Windows' built-in DVD burner. Try installing a proper piece of disc burning software like CDBurnerXP (don't be fooled by the name, it works with DVD's and Windows 7). This will give you some more specific information on your drive, as well as the ability to change the burn speed and see if that makes a difference.

Another reason that your DVD drive might be burning slowly is that it does not recognize the brand of disc and or its write stratagem so defaults to the slowest speed possible. Try a different brand of disc or see if the drive has a firmware update.

Solution