Upgrading from Intel Q9400 to Core 2 Extreme QX9650

G

I have used my Intel Q9400 2.66MHz (LGA 775) cpu since mid to late 2008 up until present date. I also purchased the XFX 790i Ultra SLI motherboard at the same time (as a combo deal) from Fry's electronics. I realize everyone is moving over to the i5, i7, cpu but I would like to get the most out of my mobo (plus I would have to buy all new memory in order to replace both my cpu and mobo.

My plan was to upgrade my Intel Q9400 cpu to the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0MHz (sale price 270.00). Im aware that there is a QX9775 that is compatible with my mobo but the price is way too high (1670.00!!) so 270.00 is more in my price range.

Would I be making a terrible mistake by upgrading to the QX9650 and running with my current mobo (I have greatly enjoyed it and have had no problems with it. I would just like a nice incremental jump in cpu power (especially for the upcoming game Final Fantasy XIV) but would going from a Q9400 to a QX9650 make much of a difference or would it be best to bite the bullet and go for overall upgrade (cpu, mobo, memory).

The link provided below has another link (below 'Key Features' section) where can open a window providing the cpu compatibility list for my mobo.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/7series/790.aspx

If you have any advice on my decision to invest in the QX9560 or otherwise please send me your response and advice. I greatly appreciate it and look forward to others recommendations as to what would be the best options.

Note: I almost forgot to mention. I also plan to water cool my cpu with a Corsair H50 Hydro Series my brother gave me. I do not overclock any of my cpu's nor will I do this one but my brother has alot more knowledge and experience in that field and he would be the only one to test it (but I doubt he will).

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
That is a difficult decision indeed. IMO if you OC that QX9650 you will see a pretty good increase in performance. However if you plan on running stock then I would not get the extreme series CPU. Get the Q9650 instead as it should be a lot less expensive than the QX CPU.

I currently use the ASUS M/BD of that chipset and have a Q9550 OC'd to 4Ghz. I thought one day I might get a QX9770 but they are so out performed by the newer generation CPUs that I just intend to enjoy what I have til it will not do what I want it to. Meaning play the games I like with out bottle necking my GPUs.

So far they are fine for me thou I know there are better gaming rigs now.:)

G

Now heres the kicker:

The Q9650 price is at 314.00 on on www.pricewatch.com ( http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/cpu/core_2_quad_q9650 ). This is probably NIB.

The QX9650 price is 270.00 on www.pricewatch.com ( http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/cpu/core_2_extreme_qx9650 ) OEM version.

I have not scouted around for lower prices online and I dont want to touch Amazon with a 10ft pole (or a used cpu on Ebay for that matter).

I'm leaning towards the QX9650 and just OC'ing it for my gaming purposes. But if you can find a better deal on the Q9650 then that would be great!

Thanks for your advice thusfar! :)

Oh wait, I just realized he has a Q9400. Yes, like everyone else have said, there is no need to upgrade. The Q9400 is still extremely powerful, superior clock per clock than a PhenomII, and equal to the upper tier PIIx4s and slightly lower than the i5 quad.

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
You wouldn't need new memory for a LGA 1566 board for i5 quads ir the i7 8x series as they run dual channel DDR3 too. However I'd just spend 40-50 on a
good cpu cooler and clock up your Q9400. 3.4-3.6Ghz would probably be acheivable with just a FSB and vcore change and will be a nice bump in performance.

Edit: whoops! Just re-read and saw you've got a corsair water cooler from your bro - no brainer therfore; overclock that Q9400! Read the overclocking guides on here before you play but basically all you need to do is set the QFSB to 1800, check the memory dividers so the RAM runs within spec and then away you go at 3.6Ghz! I would suggest you try and minimise Vcore as per the guides and set RAM volts to spec but other voltages should be fine on Auto.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Would I be making a terrible mistake by upgrading to the QX9650 and running with my current mobo (I have greatly enjoyed it and have had no problems with it. I would just like a nice incremental jump in cpu power (especially for the upcoming game Final Fantasy XIV) but would going from a Q9400 to a QX9650 make much of a difference or would it be best to bite the bullet and go for overall upgrade (cpu, mobo, memory).

Note: I almost forgot to mention. I also plan to water cool my cpu with a Corsair H50 Hydro Series my brother gave me. I do not overclock any of my cpu's nor will I do this one but my brother has alot more knowledge and experience in that field and he would be the only one to test it (but I doubt he will).
yes it would be the worst decision....its barely 333MHz more. you wont feel a thing.....

if you plan to use the water cooling, then just fo ahead and OC your system. you can easily hit 3GHz and a lot more if you push a little harder :)