Odd smell yesterday, trying to troubleshoot

fox_91

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Last night when I was going to bed, there was a loud pop and that ominous odor from my PC. When I went and checked the machine, I was stuck at a POST message saying my CMOS memory was reset. So I went in and reset the clock and other BIOS items.

Here is the odd part that I'm not sure if it is a PSU or a Motherboard issue
ASRock LGA775 Intel P43 4DDR3-16G non-ECC Un-buffered memory ATX motherboard P43DE3 - Motherboard
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply

Now when I tell my computer to Shut Down in Windows, the machine will go thru the process normal and power down, but 2-3 seconds after the machine is powered off, the computer will turn back on automatically and boot normal (much like the settings in BIOS to turn a computer on after a power outage [which i have disabled])

I figure it is either my PSU or I am leaning more towards motherboard since I lost my BIOS and whatnot. Any thoughts? Would this be covered by a motherboard warranty? The parts in this machine are <1 year old.

Thanks!

The board is inspected for burns and scratches when you rma it to asrock. Sometimes they reject an rma when they catch something that you can miss with inspection. Hopefully, the power supply made the popping sound and nothing physical was damaged on the motherboard. When you request an rma, just say the board won't post. No other details are necessary. The raidmax ps is not very good; I recommend antec, corsair, seasonic, enermax, and some ocz models for a replacement.

Indy-Go

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
a small explosion from your PC's location is never good. Then it gives you the unhappy puter electrical smell. I'd take a look at your mobo and around the battery area and the capacitors area for bleeds or destruction. More than likely, something got fried on your mobo. If you really want to get creative and see possibly how it happened you can get a volt meter and check the PWS current to make sure its conducive and working the way it should in low power mode. There's an article on TW here somewhere about using a Volt/Amp meter with your PWS... but, it eludes me atm.

fox_91

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Would a Pop from a PSU cause the BIOS to reset on the machine? Problem with RMAing the mobo is that my system does boot and runs normal as far as I can tell. It's just when you shut the machine down, unless you hold the power button for 5 sec the machine will turn it's self back on. Not the worst issue for someone who leaves their machine on for the most part, but still leaves me to wonder if something else will go wrong.

fox_91

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Well I checked my motherboard, but don't see anything odd about it. When I shut the machine down and flicked the PSU to off, the machine did try to reboot again, but quickly shut off (after sucking the last of the power). Not sure I have a spare PSU to try, but I guess it's worth ordering a new PSU before I order a new mobo