Need recommendations for a camera with fast shutter speed

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 12, 2004 5:46:59 PM

I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur. I
can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of bells
and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 8:45:12 PM

KT wrote:

> I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
> when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur. I
> can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of bells
> and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
> let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
> What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help

Kodak FinePix ?? Fuji makes the FinePix.. Since they
don't make a 3800 model, I'll assume you have a DC-3800 :-)

I don't think it's *just* shutter speed you're after...

I took a peek and see the DC-3800 will do 1/1000 of a second, which
should be OK for capturing human action.

The 3800 is a point-and-shoot camera. It has no Shutter priority function.
This means you can't select the shutter speed directly, the camera picks
it for you based on existing light.

Have you checked the EXIF data in your blurred shots to see what the camera
chose for a shutter speed ? I suspect it found a happy median between
aperture and speed. You probably only see the maximum speed of 1/1000 under
extremely bright conditions.

What you need is a more advanced camera that allows you to dial in
a fixed shutter speed. Then you know you're getting the fastest exposure..

Of course this is as long as there's enough light. Sometimes you just
can't choose the fastest shutter speed because the picture will come out
underexposed. In this case, you have to look for a low f/number in the
lens and/or the ability to increase the ISO.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:40:36 PM

"KT" <kt325@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
> when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur. I
> can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of bells
> and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
> let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
> What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help

Are you adjusting the shutter speed yourself or are you at the mercy of the
camera?
December 13, 2004 1:59:36 AM

"KT" <kt325@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
> when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur. I
> can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of bells
> and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera that will
> let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside and outside?
> What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for any help

While shutter speed may be a factor, what you probably need is the camera to
have a faster ISO speed and/or faster lens that would allow a faster shutter
speed to be selected. Most prosumer cameras top out at ISO 400, with a few
giving ISO 800. I looked up the specs, and it looks like your camera has a
f/2.8 lens (reasonably fast), 1/1000 shutter speed, but can only do ISO 100.
If you go to the DMC-FZ 10S, it has a f/2.8 lens, and can do ISO 400, which
would give you two f/stops more of speed (ie, if you are shooting at 1/30
second, it would allow you to shoot at 4 times that or 1/125 second). Note,
going to a higher ISO means you will have more image noise on the picture. It
could also be that the Kodak doesn't give you the control over shutter speed
that other cameras do.

To get faster, you need a DSLR and fast lenses, and expect to pay $1-2000 for
the body alone, and possibly more for the lenses.

Finally another option is to use an external flash, which can freeze the action.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

<Snipped Text>

> Of course this is as long as there's enough light. Sometimes you just
> can't choose the fastest shutter speed because the picture will come out
> underexposed. In this case, you have to look for a low f/number in the
> lens and/or the ability to increase the ISO.

The Minolta Z range have a manual shutter speed selection as well as a
low shutter release lag.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

KT wrote:
> I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
> when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur.
> I can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of
> bells and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera
> that will let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside
> and outside? What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for
> any help

The Canon 20D will do 1/8,000 It also as essentially no shutter delay.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:01:31 AM

My F602Z will do 1/10000 of a sec. when in fully manual mode. Mind you, need
VERY BRIGHT conditions to use it but it stops everything I've tried it on
including humming bird wings (can easily see the feathers edges right to the
end of the wings) and I suspect it'd even catch a shotgun (pistol/rifle?)
going off if one could time the shutter correctly.

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> KT wrote:
> > I have a Kodak FinePix 3800 which usually gives me good pictures, but
> > when I take pictures at sporting evens or of animals, it's all blur.
> > I can't get the shutter speed fast enough. I don't need a lot of
> > bells and whistles on the camera, but can anyone recommend a camera
> > that will let me take sharp pictures of moving objects, both inside
> > and outside? What about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 10S? Thanks for
> > any help
>
> The Canon 20D will do 1/8,000 It also as essentially no shutter
delay.

> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:40:47 PM

pjp wrote:
> My F602Z will do 1/10000 of a sec. when in fully manual mode. Mind
> you, need VERY BRIGHT conditions to use it but it stops everything
> I've tried it on including humming bird wings (can easily see the
> feathers edges right to the end of the wings) and I suspect it'd even
> catch a shotgun (pistol/rifle?) going off if one could time the
> shutter correctly.

I wonder if follow focus would work? :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
!