Sign in with
Your question

Newcomer to SSDs, have some questions

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2012 2:06:33 PM

Ok, so I have purchased the Samsung 830 128GB SSD for more towards the gaming use of it. I had a few questions regarding this drive specifically and SSDs in general regarding TRIM, SATA II & III, best practices to extend lifespan of SDD, and if deleting data on a daily basis effects lifespan.

I need some advice on a few things and I have a few questions about the SSD drive operation.

1) My Samsung 830 has a firmware update on the samsung website. I haven't installed the drive just yet, but, would it make sense to download the firmware update as an ISO, burn the image to a CD, plug in my Unformatted SDD, and then run the update tool from there?

I don't know if formatting it first then putting the firmware would cause a problem or a data read/write issue.

How should I go about this?

2) TRIM. Do I need to type anything to make sure TRIM is enabled in Windows 7? I hear different stories about TRIM always being activated by default when you install Windows and stories where you need to type in a command prompt a specific line that would enable/check if TRIM is actually working.

How should I go about verifying TRIM is on and working?

3) I plan on using my SSD as my main windows drive. What I was also planning to do was bring the system cleaners (CCleaner, ASC) over to the SSD and use it on this drive. Would this shorten the lifespan running these cleaners every day at least once?

I don't want my SSD to lose lifespan just because it deletes junk files everyday by apps I use and Windows 7 files that are automatically created.

Does deleting files every day (small ones, <10MB) with my system cleaner ruin the lifespan of my SSD?

Does reading files or BIG files everyday also ruin the lifespan of my SSD?

How can I minimize the writes to an SSD in Windows 7? Any special functions, tweaks, or tools?

Does registry defragging (not file defragging) also ruin the life span of my SSD?

4) Is there really a huge difference if I use my Samsung 830 SSD in a SATA III port vs a SATA II port? Does it really reach SATA III speeds?

Would those speeds be limited by how fast the CPU can process cycles and how fast RAM can store that data?

5) If my SSD is formatted using the Windows 7 Installation setup, does that automatically make my SSD aligned for maximum performance? Or will I have to manually align the drive using software from Samsung?

Any input is highly appreciated, I'm very excited to finally have my hands on my first SSD.
a b G Storage
July 20, 2012 4:27:26 PM

1) absolutely install any firmware updates for your drive. follow the manufacturer's instructions.
2) TRIM is enabled by default IF your motherboard bios is set for ACHI
3) running registry tools is a great way to corrupt your registry. dont mess with them unless absolutely necessary.
4) Yes you want to connect your SSD to a SATA III port to get the maximum speed of the drive ~500 MB/s if you connect to SATA II then you only get about 250 MB/s
5) yes windows 7 will format it properly.
a b Ô Samsung
a c 542 G Storage
July 20, 2012 6:55:20 PM

dissemble2discover said:
3) I plan on using my SSD as my main windows drive. What I was also planning to do was bring the system cleaners (CCleaner, ASC) over to the SSD and use it on this drive. Would this shorten the lifespan running these cleaners every day at least once?

I don't want my SSD to lose lifespan just because it deletes junk files everyday by apps I use and Windows 7 files that are automatically created.

Does deleting files every day (small ones, <10MB) with my system cleaner ruin the lifespan of my SSD?

How can I minimize the writes to an SSD in Windows 7? Any special functions, tweaks, or tools?

Does registry defragging (not file defragging) also ruin the life span of my SSD?

You don’t need to "baby" current generation SSDs. :) 
Due to firmware improvements you will be able to write for a decade and more to your drive before you run out of Write cycles.

Don’t worry about minimizing Reads & Writes; just use your SSD as you would a HDD.

I don’t know what you’re using your pc for, but running CCleaner & ASC on a daily basis seems excessive. Normal use is probably once every couple of months.

There are no benefits to defragging Windows Registry or your drive in general.
Access times for SSDs are .1ms and lower. These times are 100 times faster than a hard drive. With access times that fast there are no performance gains defragging a file or a drive.

The only thing you really need to do is have your drive connected in AHCI mode, and run WEI which will automatically disable defrag on your drive.

Other than that just use your drive normally as you would a HDD.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 20, 2012 6:59:56 PM

nhasian said:
1) absolutely install any firmware updates for your drive. follow the manufacturer's instructions.
2) TRIM is enabled by default IF your motherboard bios is set for ACHI
3) running registry tools is a great way to corrupt your registry. dont mess with them unless absolutely necessary.
4) Yes you want to connect your SSD to a SATA III port to get the maximum speed of the drive ~500 MB/s if you connect to SATA II then you only get about 250 MB/s
5) yes windows 7 will format it properly.

Thanks, I'll try/follow this. Off to install the SSD!
July 20, 2012 7:01:13 PM

Dereck47 said:
Due to firmware improvements you will be able to write for a decade and more to your drive before you run out of Write cycles.

Don’t worry about minimizing Reads & Writes; just use your SSD as you would a HDD.

I don’t know what you’re using your pc for, but running CCleaner & ASC on a daily basis seems excessive. Normal use is probably once every couple of months.

Access times for SSDs are .1ms and lower. These times are 100 times faster than a hard drive. With access times that fast there are no performance gains defragging a file or a drive.

The only thing you really need to do is have your drive connected in AHCI mode, and run WEI which will automatically disable defrag on your drive.

Thanks, this info was very helpful. I have a better idea of how to setup this SSD now.
March 31, 2013 11:28:56 PM

Dereck47 said:
dissemble2discover said:

dissemble2discover said:
Dereck47 said:

Thanks, this info was very helpful. I have a better idea of how to setup this SSD now.

Hi

my mobo cannot do AHCI but when I installed Windows 7 onto my computer it automatically enabled TRIM still and I don't know what WEI is but my C (SSD) drive had defragging disabled by default. My SSD is new but my mobo and other hardware is old. Do I need to 'baby' my SSD? :|
Ps. Sorry to hijack this oldish thread.
!