Sign in with
Your question

USB device uninstalls itself

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2012 2:37:22 PM

I don't really see a forum for this -- first post -- I guess I'll just ask here.

Very frustrating problem because it would seem that it would be common (it's happened to me on a couple of devices) and that there would be some specific answers.

One area that was brought up is USB power management but been there, done that.

I have an ATI USB TV tuner that will uninstall when I shut down the PC (BOTH of my PC's -- XP and Win7).

When I power down, I have to disconnect it -- then power up -- wait for a complete reboot and plug it back in for it to operate and show up in device manager. (tried ATI's theatre driver, let windows 7 search etc etc)

I've tried to solve this for the past several months and no luck with google searches, other posts, even "trying" to contact Diamond MM -- so thought I'd try here.

Any help on this?

More about : usb device uninstalls

a c 79 G Storage
July 23, 2012 4:24:01 PM

Have you tried an external mains-powered USB hub, plugging the hub into a mains socket, then plugging your TV tuner into the hub?

Here's an example of one: http://www.ebuyer.com/259358-xenta-7-port-usb-2-0-hub-m...

If you do buy one, make sure the mains power adapter is included, as some are capable of being plugged into the mains but the adapter is not supplied.
July 23, 2012 4:53:42 PM

Actually, I thought that may be the problem so halfway built a power supply and got distracted -- I'll get one of those, thanks.

I'll post if it clears it up -- thanks again.
!