nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hey guys, I've been computer savvy all my life until about two years ago, when I began through some back/health problems that lead me to stray away from all of this. Anyways, I would REALLY like to be refreshed on all of this and if anyone can take some time to kinda summarize what's happened since then (in cpus, gpus, etc..) I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I basically left off when Intel released their first 45 nm CPUs (Not sure exactly what they were called, wolfdale maybe? Right before the new CPUs that brought back hyperthreading.

In term of GPUs, I left off when ATI released the 4500/4700 lineup, so as you can tell it was a while back.

So if anyone can fill me on what I've missed I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks guys and it's good to be back on here.

Intel has since moved on to the i series CPUs. There is 2 different socket (1366 and 1156). AMD has come out with some competitive CPUs (Phenom II, quad and hex core).

ATI and NVidia have come out with dx11 video cards. ATI has the 5xxx series video cards to compete with NVidia's fermi 4xx cards.

This is just a quick summary of what is going on now. Hope it helps.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

Bro that helps a lot, thanks so much. Are there any additional advantages of those two new sockets?

Also, did the dx11 cards prove to be any better than dx10? Are they still on pci-express 2.0?