Help..ATI 5870 Strange Issue

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I recently bought a radeon 5870 for my gaming rig. Problem is: when my computer starts, only a cental square part of my desktop is shown, the rest is all black..I launch CCC, go to displays page and rotate the display, then canel that, the whole desktop is shown..After that if I launch any game the card will not go to 3D mode, but it'll remain in idle colcks...To resolve this I restart the PC, and if the whole desktop is shown, then I know everything is going to be OK.. This problem appears to happen randomly at startup. Everything was perfectly fine with my previous 8800 GT.
N.B I formatted and installed a fresh copy of windows and I installed a new 800w PSU prior to installing the new GFX card.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
My full PC specs now are:
C2D E6750 @ 3.6 Ghz, ASUS P5KSE (P35), 2x2GB OCZ @1081Ghz, FSP-Gropp Epsilon 800w PSU 4x 12v rails each 20A, 1TB WD caviar green, Force3D ATI Radeon 5870, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Catalyst 10.3, I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor my GPU, the GFX card is not OCed.

Does the whole desktop appear or just a part?

If it is the whole, it sounds like a problem loading the correct resolution and it is set as 1:1 pixel mapping in either the monitor or CCC scaling options.

As you have reformatted, it will not be old drivers but I would try out older cat's as that is an odd problem.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks both 4 the reply.
@ jay2tall: I reformatted
@strangestranger: Only part of the desktop appears, and strangely it isn't exactly the central part, but rather displaced alittle towards the left lower corner!
What do u mean by cat? canthod ray tube monitors?

I forgot to mention that my monitor is BenQ T2200 HD @ 1920x1080 60Hz

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Anybody else got any other idea..The problem still persists with Catalyst 10.4. It is even worse now, it happens after every restart. And I was wrong about which part of the screen is displayed in the central area, actually it's the upper left part, if that makes a difference.