Asus Mobo + G Skill Ram = ???

k1ck3rtw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I bought GSkill ram ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231427 ) about a month ago intending to use it on a Sandy Bridge platform. Unfortunately, this was about a week before the whole intel debacle.

I'm looking to get an AMD system now as it fits my budget better and I can't wait another month for the Intel fix to come out.

I'm looking at this motherboard, but am not stuck on any one thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

Question
1) The ram purchased is stated as "Designed for Intel P67 motherboard". From reading posts...it sounds like this is just a marketing thing. Is there any reason I can't use this ram on any other mobo (AMD or Intel) as long as it takes DDR3 1600 Ram?

2) How nice do Asus and Gskill play? According to the Asus site, it seems a very specific GSkill ram is approved to work...but am unsure about this particular combo. If not...any recommendations for other mobos (MSI, ASRock, etc...)?

Thanks,

TW

Solution
Yeah, the reason it says "Designed for P67" is because it's rated at 1.5v spec.

Notice the last time that general QVL was updated? August 3rd 2009.
Even the DDR3-1333 QVL was only updated February 2nd 2010.

Both QVLs list plenty of G.Skill 1.5v RAM, so you should be fine getting that board.
Yeah, the reason it says "Designed for P67" is because it's rated at 1.5v spec.

Notice the last time that general QVL was updated? August 3rd 2009.
Even the DDR3-1333 QVL was only updated February 2nd 2010.

Both QVLs list plenty of G.Skill 1.5v RAM, so you should be fine getting that board.

Solution
I had no problems with my gskill ripjaws 1.5v 1600; I would go for 1.5v rated whatever brand you choose. But I must point out that the gskill was run on three boards, both with different chipsets and brands. One was a biostar h55, the second an msi h55, and finally is currently on a biostar 880g chipset. Your board may run under 1600 by default; I had to set mine manually on the amd biostar board.

k1ck3rtw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Sorry...you lost me there. Basically are you saying that to make sure the RAM will run at 1600, that I may have to manually set it in the bios? Also how do I know what voltage is running on the mobo so it matches the volatage rating of the ram (in this case 1.5)?

Cpuz will tell you, or the hardware monitor sections should have the ram voltage listed. Sometimes, the board defaults to a slightly higher setting than 1.5v for better stability. For two h55 boards, my ram defaulted to 1333 (133 x 10) to be in sync with the cpu fsb which defaults to 133. I set it at 160 and the ram multiplier at 5.0 so the ram would run at 1600. Some boards have ram ratios; some have no multiplier or ram adjustments. My board has no voltage adjustments, but was stable without a voltage increase.