Gaming Desktop for Starcraft 2 for under $600

iowagamer

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
I would like to try to build a desktop that will allow me to play Starcraft 2 without too much frustration. I am looking to build so that I would be ready to upgrade later. Or would it be better to purchase a barebones package or perhaps a complete desktop?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this month BUDGET RANGE: 600 after Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, college work, internet surfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS. I also have 4 GB of DDR2 memory that does not have to be used if it is not compatible. It is Kingston PC2-5300/667 MHz.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (none – but would prefer not to have to make multiple orders)

PARTS PREFERENCES: looking for recommendations

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600 x 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to build a computer as cheaply as possible now (less than $600) but that would allow me to upgrade later when my finances allow.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
AM3 micro-ATX (only one gpu slot but just get a good single gpu card .. no xfire .. OK!).

Athlon-II 440 with stock cooler

5770 or 4890 (if can find)

sorry bout your old ram ... ditch it .. get ripjaws 2x2GB 1600 cas7

spinpoint F3 500GB HDD

don't skimp (too much) on PSU ... under $50 is crap (and dangerous).

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

I like it a-lot ... and ... don't have issue with the ram speed .. BUT .. Definately *DO* 2x2GB=4GB !!!

No prob with the 5750, at your rez, but do stretch for the 5770, for future rez/needs/speed ...

A sony optiarc DVDR costs $21

I recommend the spinpoint F3 500GB HDD @$55

= Al =

A post build upgrade with 2GB more RAM is an easy thing to 'sneak' into the system at a later date.
The 5770 and Samsung F3 500GB are faster/more powerful and better parts, but not so much better that a budget builder needs to feel guilty about using anything less.

What resolution monitor will you be using?
THG has done some StarCraft II Beta testing and the article can give you an idea on what it may mean going from a dual core, tri-core or quad core CPU and also how upgrading a video card (like from 5750 to 5770) will improve performance.
Just remember - it's a beta game being looked at.
StarCraft II Beta: Game Performance Analyzed
Sc2%20Ultra%201280.png

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Min fps should be at least 30 frames per second ... eh? ... 5750 is bottom.

BUT ... The future awaits ... STARCRAFT isn't the only game in the world and this prolly ain't the LAST version of StarCraft that will be released ...

ADDITIONALLY ... you might not want to stay at that rez, 4ever.

Stretch for the 5770 ... u b glad u did.

= Al =