WPA2 without MAC filtering?

_xyz

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
If i use WPA2-PSK but not MAC filtering, can anyone connect to the netword without knowing the PSK? is the encryption mandatory for all of the peers in the network?

G

WPA2 is considered safe. MAC filtering won't really help because it's possible to spoof a MAC id.

G

Theoretically, while older systems like WEP are regarded as simple to penetrate WPA2 is safe.

In all this the main concern is who, not what. Penetrating WEP isn't something you or I would choose to spend our time doing -- so you can assume that in the small area of your average neighbourhood viably covered by your wifi signal you mainly need a security system that stops anyone blundering onto your system by accident or through casual curiosity.

Interestingly, while trying to set up a spare router I logged into a neighbour's system which had WPA2. I was momentarily puzzled to be welcomed by the setup screens of a different brand of router to the one I thought I was addressing.

I won't elaborate in order to avoid tipping off hackers but I was able to recreate the scenario later with some trying. So I know the how but remain puzzled at why. The issue seems to relate to a router from a known brand, but probably only one model and possibly only a variant supplied by an ISP in the UK.