How much RAM for a Windows 7 build, with an SSD, for light-duty PC?

dflaccav

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hello,

I'm building a Windows 7 PC for Mom, and Mom is not a gamer -- PC will be used for office apps, web browsing, and watching video (mostly Youtube, maybe DVD, on a 20" or 22" monitor). Figured I would use IGP for graphics.

I've decided to go with a 32-40GB SSD to install the OS (and apps) on. There will also be a second hard drive (SATA), larger of course, to store data.

After much research I've decided to go with an AMD Athlon ii x2 240 for the CPU, and will select a mobo with AMD 780G or 785G chipset. My question is -- how much RAM should the build have?

I am wondering if 1GB RAM would be sufficient, given that the build will be using an SSD?

djg9205

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
All an SSD will do is allow things that load off the hard drive to load faster. This includes the OS and any applications that are being launched for the first time. After they load, the RAM will be responsible for providing any temporary storage. An SSD will not provide you any more performance than a normal one *after* the applications are already open. So you'll need to plan your RAM around the amount of multitasking you plan to do. I'd say 2GB would be sufficient for a moderate amount of multitasking, although 4GB would obviously be better if your budget would allow. Don't think I'd go for 1GB though.

xanderbox

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Now TBH, I am a little confused as to why you are adding a SSD into a low budget build. From the details you are giving regarding the use of the machine, you would be able to cut the build in half by going with a standard HDD.

Solid State is still overpriced for the storage size and the 250ms read write difference will not be a big deal when all you need to load is Word.

My advice would be to ditch the the SSD, its not worth the price tag and has no place in any build under $1000.