Sign in with
Your question

SSD "settings" should be correct - still lousy speed.

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2012 4:40:23 PM

Hello :) 

Long time lurker, new registered! Hope some of you may assist me with this:

I have a ASUS M4A89GTD PRO, Socket-AM3 mobo with 3 SSDs.

2 X Corsair SSD Force Series 2,5" 60GB (SATA2, 285MB/275MB/s read/write)
1 X Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 120GB 2.5" (SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 550MB/510MB/s read/write)

Bios is set to AHCI, the cables are Sata III and the mobo supports up to Sata III...
But the speed I get is very low. I've tried a million things now, but nothing really helps.
So I'm calling out for help (Im no expert, so if there's something obvious I've forgotten don't yell at me :sarcastic:  )

July 20, 2012 4:54:54 PM

This is the first SSD (The type I have 2 of..)

And this is the newest one, which should be fastest...
a c 525 G Storage
July 20, 2012 5:02:44 PM

Your benchmark results are normal.

AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.

Advertised speeds for Corsair drives are with ATTO benchmark software which uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Related resources
July 20, 2012 5:09:50 PM

Hi Dereck47, and thanks for the quick reply!

But that still doesn't explain why the newer and faster SSD-disc performs slower then the older slower one?
a c 525 G Storage
July 20, 2012 5:21:17 PM

You're right about that. It shouldn't make a difference but connect the drive to port SATA1 and test.
July 20, 2012 5:29:06 PM

ATTO benchmark shows that the 3rd and newest disc reaches the speed it should.
I never realised the results could be so different in two "recommended" benchmark programs :) 

As a side-questions:

When transfering files in Windows you get this pop-up-window with the current speed of the transfer. How accurate is that?

a c 525 G Storage
July 20, 2012 5:44:38 PM

Stephar said:
ATTO benchmark shows that the 3rd and newest disc reaches the speed it should.
I never realised the results could be so different in two "recommended" benchmark programs :) 

Corsair drives use a SandForce controller. SandForce based drives work best when the data they are using can be compressed.
ATTO uses "best-case" scenario data. AS-SSD uses "worst-case" scenario data. Real-world data is probably in the middle.
Manufacturers like to advertise using best-case data. :) 

As a side-questions:

When transfering files in Windows you get this pop-up-window with the current speed of the transfer. How accurate is that? said:
As a side-questions:

When transfering files in Windows you get this pop-up-window with the current speed of the transfer. How accurate is that?

I would assume it's very accurate since "real-world" data is being used.

!