PC Shut off, will not turn back on

enfo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I was playing starcraft 2 today and in the middle of a game my computer just shut off and would not turn back on.

I opened up the case and my psu was really hot. If you kept your hand on it for a few seconds it would burn your skin.

Just wanted to know if it could just be the psu, or if it may be the mobo or cpu.

System specs are:
E8400
ATI 4870 512MB
OCZ 4GB ddr2 1066mhz
ASUS P5E Deluxe Motherboard
Western Digital 250GB 7200rpm
Windows XP SP3
800W PSU

Also, the cmos light on the mobo is still on, but the system will not start up.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
In addition to checking your PSU connections to the mobo, it sounds like you have a PSU problem, not a CPU heating problem.

Are you using the stock HSF? If so, I assume you are using the thermal compound that was affixed to the HSF. Is that correct? If so, just verify that all of the clips are firmly seated. If you remove the HSF, you will need to clean the CPU and HSF surfaces before you apply new thermal goo.

If you are OCing anything, stop until you resolve the problem.

To reset your PSU, disconnect the power cord for at least 30 seconds. Press the power button to discharge any residual electricity in the system (it is true), and then reattach the power cable.

How have your system temps been prior to this happening?

Do you have...

rohn_avni

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
check the 4 pin power supply..... it is near the processor socket.... and also i looks like a heat issue... apply some new thermal paste to ur cpu heat sink and reattach it....... :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In addition to checking your PSU connections to the mobo, it sounds like you have a PSU problem, not a CPU heating problem.

Are you using the stock HSF? If so, I assume you are using the thermal compound that was affixed to the HSF. Is that correct? If so, just verify that all of the clips are firmly seated. If you remove the HSF, you will need to clean the CPU and HSF surfaces before you apply new thermal goo.

If you are OCing anything, stop until you resolve the problem.

To reset your PSU, disconnect the power cord for at least 30 seconds. Press the power button to discharge any residual electricity in the system (it is true), and then reattach the power cable.

How have your system temps been prior to this happening?

Do you have access to another PSU that you could swap into your system in order to rule out the PSU as a problem? I strongly suspect that is where your issue lies based on how HOT it was. They should never get that warm.

Good luck!

Solution

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
before you start fiddling with PSU/GPU for overheating try this:

go to"Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file and add in the lines frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

The menu screens are not "framerate-limited" meaning that if the PChas nothing better to do the, GPU gets bored and starts to render the screens. at crazy fps :p it overheats and may even burn ur GPU

if you sti have problem, post back with your PSU brand :)

i hope you dont mean you PC dont turn off even after cooling it off, coz then you might be too late. if that is the case check for burning smell

enfo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I have the PSU that came with my case, its an Apevia case.

I cant turn my computer on at all, even after letting it cool down, I reset the power supply multiple times with no change, but i dont smell any burning smell, Im going to pick up a 700w OCZ psu right now to try it out.

I just stuck my nose in the PSU it is burnt out, it smells like it anyways.

Ill be getting a new heatsink as well as the intel clips broke when i was reseating it.

My PC temps prior were are 85F-90F, not sure what it was when i was playing SC2, because normally the fans would kick in once it got hotter but i didnt hear any increase in noise from the case.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

PSU is heavy. if it burns out u will be sure to smell it if u stick ur nose in the case. and u most wouldn have the mobo LED on usually.

do test it with a multi meter or test ur pc with a spare PSU from friend. there is no need to through money at it without being sure. but if u have money, then y not :p

enfo

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Was the psu, everything seems fine now thanks for all the input guys. Only problem is now that two of my case fans are not working and im posting temps pretty high, about 42C for the cpu, and 48C for the mobo @ idle.